increasing manual dexerity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwannaplaylock

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some ways to dramtically increase manual dexerity? I am currently 15 years and I am dead serious on becoming dentist/orthodontist. Are video games such as the Wii a good way to increase it?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe, but it's not something most people would put on their application. Why not learn guitar or take up painting?

Ceramics classes help I think. I heard dental schools look positively on ceramics classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started crocheting (or knitting) and now I'm totally obsessed. I don't know if it really helps but my hands get really tired after awhile.

My manual dexterity is so bad that I'm afraid I'm gonna make a big mistake when treating a patient!(if I'll become a dentist, that is.) It seems unable to be improved greatly, either. I'm getting too much stress from it....

Take a jewelry making class, if your college offers it.

*EDIT* (Just saw your age.)

Play your video games because they are fun, not because you want to be a dentist. You'll have plenty of time to worry about that later.

I honestly think that the best way to improve your manual dexterity skills (I know this is kind of pricey and gay {for some guys}) is to get a cosmetic liscence to do acrylic nails. You have to get used to working with small things, handpieces and use a fulcrum. :thumbup:

I learned how to knit and crochet as well.

you're 15 yrs old? or this is your 15th yr in school? well, either way it doesn't matter.:p

UNC-dentistry recommends students taking sculpting classes! You can do it and think about that movie, "Ghost".

If you're dead serious: http://us.games-workshop.com/

It's about the nerdiest thing you can do, but head down to your friendly neighborhood game shop, pick up some Space Marines and get painting.

Nothing will teach you how to appreciate fine motor skills like painting eyes on a 15mm scale miniature.

actually, playing too much Wii may actually harm you if you want to become a dentist. A Wii doesn't really improve your manual dexterity because all you're doing is swinging the Wiimote around (if you're not careful, you can hurt yourself doing so). Find something that will improve your finger and wrist strength and endurance. Model building and painting is a pretty good manual dexerity exercise IMO.

Video games have more to do with finger--eye coordination than manual dexterity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to do a lot of model building when I was younger, I mentioned this on my Application. My interviewers asked me about it and I told them I really can't find the time any more, they seemed disappointed. Seriously my manual dexterity is fine, I can't even think of finding the time to improve it. I have have 3 kids my wife works full time and am taking 17 credit hours right now. When I have any free time I am definately not spending it improving my manual dexterity.

I do like to fix stuff, such as computers. I think sodering my my power suply onto my laptops mother board, and fixing electronics improves manual dexterity.:oops:

I hope hand writing isn't a sign of manual dexterity skills, because if iti is, I probaly chose the wrong profession.

if you are 15 then i would say get a girl and sneak some beers from your parents and play "Dentist"

I just picked up one of those model cars from Wal-Mart yesterday to practice manual dexterity over my spring break. The associate needed a price check on it and got on the speakerphone to call the toy section. I'm 22 and I started explaining why I wanted this toy. Anyway long story short I ended up walking back to the toy section to get another one. I haven't stated putting it together yet, but it has like 300 pieces and sounds challenging for ages 12 and up. If your ordering online though go for an airplane, they're the gold standard!

beastly sign up for my website and you can get updates in your mailbox about dentistry related things.

I liked to work on cars and put that down. Also things like typing words per minute, piano, guitar, etc. Sculpting classes, etc. What they want to see is your ability to make your fingers go where our brain tells them too. If they see that you have been involved in a manual dexterity skill for a long time they like it. Bring pictures to your interview of things you have done too for credibility, or have a professor who knows you well (network later 15 year old grasshopper :D ) say something to that effect in the letter of recommendation.

Painting
ceramics
pottery
engine repair
instrument
typing wpm

another thing would be to buy a hand exerciser like those things you squeeze. That will help your motor skills and hand muscles from becoming tired in the clinic or preclinic.

DMDstudent.com

beastly sign up for my website and you can get updates in your mailbox about dentistry related things.

I liked to work on cars and put that down. Also things like typing words per minute, piano, guitar, etc. Sculpting classes, etc. What they want to see is your ability to make your fingers go where our brain tells them too. If they see that you have been involved in a manual dexterity skill for a long time they like it. Bring pictures to your interview of things you have done too for credibility, or have a professor who knows you well (network later 15 year old grasshopper :D ) say something to that effect in the letter of recommendation.

Painting
ceramics
pottery
engine repair
instrument
typing wpm

another thing would be to buy a hand exerciser like those things you squeeze. That will help your motor skills and hand muscles from becoming tired in the clinic or preclinic.

DMDstudent.com
for the hand gripper part i am a pretty big on weight lifting for rugby and my deadlift has shot my grip strengh a lot....
will weighting trainning be a hinderence or a pro? thanks for all ur guyz/gals replies....

might be kinda late to pick up a musical instrument like piano or violin... takes a lot of patience too.

i love origami, and knitting/crocheting. try beading or cross-stitching too. really cheap hobbies, but they're incredibly addicting. i'm planning on taking a sculpting class next quarter... so excited!!

painting on miniatures... i know a pre-dent friend who loves doing that! maybe give that a shot!

if ya really want, u could get some blocks of wax from a dental school nearby, open up a dental anatomy book, and just start carving away to copy the pits and fissures. =)

way to get on the ball. good luck!

I worked as a cellular technician for over a year, it helped like crazy because of all the small pieces. I also took a ceramics course, pretty fun if you like building stuff (I Hope). You can take those at a junior college while still attending high school. There were a few high school kids in the class when I took it...

If you are 15, I suggest you get off this site and read your physical science book lol

THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO try taking some tooth waxing classes wherever they are offered if notvtry sculpting classes..but miniture sculpting if possible.....become familiar with tooth morphology and anatomy!!

What are some ways to dramtically increase manual dexerity? I am currently 15 years and I am dead serious on becoming dentist/orthodontist. Are video games such as the Wii a good way to increase it?

i think it's a great idea to cultivate manual dexterity in preparation for a career in dentistry. it's not a matter of impressing the committee on admissions but it will only serve you. if you have good manual dexterity, dental school can be a fun and creative experience. on the other hand, if you lack the dexterity, dental school becomes a very depressing experience. i do think ceramics is a great way to improve dexterity. in fact, i will even suggest waxing. get some wax, any kind of wax, and wax up small detailed objects such as a car key. for the sake of honesty though, most people who get into dental school are not particularly gifted or artsy. yet, they pick up the skills. don't worry.

go get a Xbox 360, get Xbox Live, and then meet me on Gears of War... that's the only TRUE way to increase manual dexterity.

Learn Kung Fu and pratice Karate chops on your friends. DP

I believe the Amulet of Agragoth is +3 dexterity.

While this is true, the amulet also causes you to immediately go into a barbarian rage upon seeing orc or creatures with orcsh blood. While anyone could benefit from a +4 strength and +4 constitution modifier, what good is that if he ends up on the wrong end of an orcish battleaxe?

What happens if he ends up seeing a half-orcish patient?

I would instead suggest combining the lesser effects of reading the Manual of Dexterity (get it? :laugh:) and equipping Bracers of Noran'sutar

Has anyone seen the episode of the Simpsons, where Lisa discovers a pheramone produced by nerds which causes bullies to become agressive.

I do believe i smell nerds in here. :laugh: