Increasing number of DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

normalforce

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you all think about the rapidly increasing number of DO schools? Good? Bad?

I think increasing the # of DOs is a good thing, but maybe we should be emphasizing increasing the # of good osteopathic residency training programs first?

I would like to hear your opinions.

If you didn't know, there are 3 more DO schools opening their doors within the next year.

NF

Members don't see this ad.

As someone already said in the PreDO forum, too much growth too fast.

Expanding class sizes without increasing rotation/residency spots = BAD.

I recently spoke with the Director of Student Affairs who said that the deans of allopathic medical schools are beginning to get anxious because the numbers of well-qualified DOs and FMGs matching to ACGME accredited programs continues to trend upward. It is getting to a point where they feel we (DOs & FMGs) are beginning to limit the options for the graduating seniors of US MD schools.

Evidently, they have looked at a number of potential solutions including a match for just US MD seniors. Unfilled positions would then be offered to DOs and FMGs through a second match.

With the exception of pre-matches, I'd imagine something like this would virtually elimate our best students chances of matching to top-notch programs as we have in the past. What's more, this is at a time where there are already more DO graduates than there are AOA-approved slots for post-graduate training – a disparity that appears to be getting larger.