Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Increasing number of DO schools

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by normalforce, May 1, 2007.

1. normalforce

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What do you all think about the rapidly increasing number of DO schools? Good? Bad?

I think increasing the # of DOs is a good thing, but maybe we should be emphasizing increasing the # of good osteopathic residency training programs first?

I would like to hear your opinions.

If you didn't know, there are 3 more DO schools opening their doors within the next year.

NF

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. miglo

miglo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

As someone already said in the PreDO forum, too much growth too fast.

Expanding class sizes without increasing rotation/residency spots = BAD.

4. mikeyb01

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I recently spoke with the Director of Student Affairs who said that the deans of allopathic medical schools are beginning to get anxious because the numbers of well-qualified DOs and FMGs matching to ACGME accredited programs continues to trend upward. It is getting to a point where they feel we (DOs & FMGs) are beginning to limit the options for the graduating seniors of US MD schools.

Evidently, they have looked at a number of potential solutions including a match for just US MD seniors. Unfilled positions would then be offered to DOs and FMGs through a second match.

With the exception of pre-matches, I'd imagine something like this would virtually elimate our best students chances of matching to top-notch programs as we have in the past. What's more, this is at a time where there are already more DO graduates than there are AOA-approved slots for post-graduate training – a disparity that appears to be getting larger.