Increasing Personal Marketing Potential as a PT Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScarletKnights90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently am a second year physical therapy student and wanted to gain some insight into some ways that physical therapy students can make themselves more marketable when preparing for their first job. Are there any certifications/credentials that might aid a student fresh out of school that might make him/her "better candidates" for opportunities? At the end of the day all students graduate with that D.P.T. at the end of their name but what else can you do to make yourself look even better? I've heard a lot of people talk about going for ACSM certifications or going for their CSCS. I've also heard of individuals going for more advanced medical emergency certifications such as Advanced Cardiac Life Support. Any shared experience or ideas would be much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Advanced continuing education courses in manual therapy, assessment/treatment, etc.

Advanced continuing education courses in manual therapy, assessment/treatment, etc.
I was thinking more for student PTs, continuing edu would be more when your already out in the field. What are some ideas as a current student to make yourself more marketable for that first job

If you have the budget and motivation then do this:
As a PT student, you can take most continuing Ed courses or get permission to attend a course. You won't get credit and might be a little over your head, but it will be good learning, exposure, and networking. You put that on your resume and it shows great initiative. Remember that it doesn't always have to culminate in letters behind your name.
For example if you are gonna be an outpt ortho PT, You can take weekend seminars in joint mobilization, kinesiotaping, FMS/SFMA, dry needling, etc...

Also if you end up interning with a big hospital or group that offers their own internal CEUs then by all means get your CI to sign you up and it should be free.

Hope that helps.