Increasing scores on AAMC FL's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Valtun

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen from almost any post regarding scores on AAMC FL's, it seems to be a normal trend that your score increases as you take all 3. I've noticed that majority of people see a 3-4 point increase from one FL to the next. Basically, I was just wondering what you guys think is the reason for that.

I just took AAMC FL1 and was wondering what people do in order to see that nice positive slope.

I know majority of people are going to say "reviewing the FL's" but what does that exactly entail? Would love to hear your different opinions on how to efficiently and effectively review the FL's as well as anything else that you guys think is the best way to see an increase in scores on your FL's!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Typically, people get a better grasp on question style and time management during the test. They also start to fill in content gaps as they go over their FLs. This entails interrogating why they got questions wrong: was it a content gap, was it a simple error/silly mistake, was it a calculation mistake, etc. If it was a content gap, a good reviewer will study the content well enough and maybe practice a few related questions in question packs or online to ensure that the gap is filled.

Practice makes perfect! For me, my scores on the AAMC FLs were 510, 510, and 518. I scored a 519 on the real exam.

Reviewing your FLs for me meant that I went through every question I got wrong and wrote down content information to review in the future and why I got the question wrong. I went through the questions I got right as well, because some of them I simply guessed right, and did the same thing.

Then before my exam I reviewed those notes. Truthfully, I found that to be even more useful at improving my scores than content review.

Good luck!