Incredibly low step 1 score as an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klatt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my step score and its a 203 and on top of that I am an IMG (Carib student). There was a power failure at the testing centre right at the start and I blamed it on that for a while.. but honestly it is purely my fault at the end.
My friend told me that I am pretty much done and my chances of getting an interview or a match is pretty nil. I don't know what to do. My next goal is to try and kill the rotations and Step 2 and hopefully make up for it. Have there been other people in the same boat as me? Realistically, what are my options? I'm planning on going to either FM or Psych but I just don't know if its attainable anymore. I might try and do a couples match with my GF who has a slightly better score than me (219.. also a carib student).. but I feel like I'm gonna be bringing her down too.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe try for pediatrics too if you find any interest in it. I know of a Caribbean classmate who failed step 1 and passed on second try who matched into FM. Atleast you passed. Hopefully the rest of your application has some strength and going forward you will do well in your upcoming licensing exams. During your rotations work hard and maybe you'll be granted an interview and match at the program where you are rotating at as a student if not get some nice LORs to help you.

Its getting more tough every year for IMGs (I'll let you know how it goes for me this year)...in the years past you would have been ok, but who knows about the future.. though your score is low you are obviously not out of the "game" yet... like you said just beef up the rest of your app and you ll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick yourself up man. You still passed on the first attempt. Forget about the exam completely and put all your focus on your rotations and Step 2. Study like a madman, work hard in all your rotations. Don't mess around. Kill CK and CS and you have a good shot.

I am also an IMG with low scores, but I was able to get interviews. I don't want to say anything before Match happens because I have no idea if I'll match or not, but if I do I will definitely message you and give you more detailed advice about everything.

Reactions: 1 user
Kill CK? but he's so funny on Louie! In all honesty, though, IMGs used to have it much harder. My Uncle-In-Law was and IMG in the 80s and they actually had different exam questions for their boards. It was made up of rejected questions so almost all IMG would end up rooted out.

Pick yourself up man. You still passed on the first attempt. Forget about the exam completely and put all your focus on your rotations and Step 2. Study like a madman, work hard in all your rotations. Don't mess around. Kill CK and CS and you have a good shot.

I am also an IMG with low scores, but I was able to get interviews. I don't want to say anything before Match happens because I have no idea if I'll match or not, but if I do I will definitely message you and give you more detailed advice about everything.
Hi mastmastdonan, Was wondering how the match worked out for you. Any advice?

How about this one: I'm a 3rd year DO student. About 75% sure I want FM. I got a 204 on Step I and a 480 on COMLEX level I. Should I be planning on applying to both the ACGME match and the DO match? Or just the DO match? Would I have a shot at some dually accredited, unopposed programs? I'm looking for a nice community program, unopposed or at least one with strong inpatient training. Would skipping the DO match be too big a risk?

Last edited:
How about this one: I'm a 3rd year DO student. About 75% sure I want FM. I got a 204 on Step I and a 480 on COMLEX level I. Should I be planning on applying to both the ACGME match and the DO match? Or just the DO match? Would I have a shot at some dually accredited, unopposed programs? I'm looking for a nice community program, unopposed or at least one with strong inpatient training. Would skipping the DO match be too big a risk?

Tough call honestly. I (a DO) had a 227 on step1 and a 558 on COMLEX-1. Applied ACGME only but a few programs were dual accredited, (I applied through the ACGME match to those).

Anyway, I went unmatched. Ended up snagging an amazing program in the SOAP, but that doesn't change the fact that I still didn't match.

I think that if you're going to potentially go ACGME, you'd be wise to spread out your apps both geographically and in terms of competitiveness. And attend as many interviews as possible, so you can have a robust rank list. One of the biggest things I think hurt me was the fact that I only ranked 9 programs. I had over 20 interview invites but didn't attend the vast majority of them because I thought I didn't need to and I wanted to save money.

Tough call honestly. I (a DO) had a 227 on step1 and a 558 on COMLEX-1. Applied ACGME only but a few programs were dual accredited, (I applied through the ACGME match to those).

Anyway, I went unmatched. Ended up snagging an amazing program in the SOAP, but that doesn't change the fact that I still didn't match.

I think that if you're going to potentially go ACGME, you'd be wise to spread out your apps both geographically and in terms of competitiveness. And attend as many interviews as possible, so you can have a robust rank list. One of the biggest things I think hurt me was the fact that I only ranked 9 programs. I had over 20 interview invites but didn't attend the vast majority of them because I thought I didn't need to and I wanted to save money.

Isn't it normal to only interview at 9-11 programs though, as you usually can't get too many days off (this is what I was told at least) of rotations? Do you think there are any other recommendations for someone who was in your position? I'm only an OMS2 but feel I am decently strong academically (top half of class, at least), and I would be devastated having the false security of 9-10 interviews (which puts you at something like a 90%+ chance of matching, right?) and ending up not matching. Maybe applying to more safety ACGME programs (if that's a thing for DOs on the ACGME side)? Or is it really just trying to get your interview numbers as high as you can.

Isn't it normal to only interview at 9-11 programs though, as you usually can't get too many days off (this is what I was told at least) of rotations? Do you think there are any other recommendations for someone who was in your position? I'm only an OMS2 but feel I am decently strong academically (top half of class, at least), and I would be devastated having the false security of 9-10 interviews (which puts you at something like a 90%+ chance of matching, right?) and ending up not matching. Maybe applying to more safety ACGME programs (if that's a thing for DOs on the ACGME side)? Or is it really just trying to get your interview numbers as high as you can.

Honestly, I could have had as many days off as I wanted. And I should have gone on more interviews.

The real killer is that I cancelled an already scheduled interview with one program, and that program went un-filled by exactly one. If I'd just gone on the interview, even if I ranked them last, I almost certainly would have matched there.

That being said, my current program is worlds better than anything I had on my rank list anyway. Despite the nightmare of not matching, I came out way ahead.

Let say OP was an AMG with that score (203), would it still be hard for him to find something in FM or psych in less desirable location?

Let say OP was an AMG with that score (203), would it still be hard for him to find something in FM or psych in less desirable location?
i don't think so. for AMG, as long as you pass, FM (not top-tier!) is totally within reach.

I am IMG with a 202 1st attempt on Step 1 and I am REALLY interested in Surgery and EM both of which I am aware are incredibly competitive. I passed my surgery rotation with an A and have been working really hard to make sure I get A's in the rest of my core rotations. I am also working on surgical research with one prominent surgeon in which I would be one of the authors of the research which has a high likelihood of being published. Assuming I do really well in CK and CS, the research gets published, I do a 2-3 poster presentations and maybe one more research paper (I will have one year between my match and graduation; hence, it may be do-able). Are there any true chances of matching in to either one of those residencies or am I wasting my time and should just aim for a FM residency? I would truly appreciate any advice as to what I would have to do to be sure to have a chance at either EM or surgery. Thanks.

I am IMG with a 202 1st attempt on Step 1 and I am REALLY interested in Surgery and EM both of which I am aware are incredibly competitive. I passed my surgery rotation with an A and have been working really hard to make sure I get A's in the rest of my core rotations. I am also working on surgical research with one prominent surgeon in which I would be one of the authors of the research which has a high likelihood of being published. Assuming I do really well in CK and CS, the research gets published, I do a 2-3 poster presentations and maybe one more research paper (I will have one year between my match and graduation; hence, it may be do-able). Are there any true chances of matching in to either one of those residencies or am I wasting my time and should just aim for a FM residency? I would truly appreciate any advice as to what I would have to do to be sure to have a chance at either EM or surgery. Thanks.

Sorry man, but no chance.

I hate to be that guy. Shoot for family medicine. Even that is gonna be tough IMHO.

One of my friends with a 252 Step 1 and 237 Step 2 didn't match. But he was applying IM as a IMG. He applied to 150 programs, got 7 interviews. No match. This match cycle was pretty rough on IMGs.

I was a carib grad and did not match my 1st time through. I had decent stats (mid-class rank, 220s step 1/2, 1st time pass). I beat myself up pretty bad but worked hard and matched the 2nd time through. In the end matching comes down to so many things apart from you and your scores. Those things do have a lot to do with it sometimes but the particular application cycle, choice of specialty, attire, personality, perception, etc all matter. My residency really included its residents in the interview and ranking process each year and being a part of this you see what really goes into the whole process. You realize that it is not "all your fault" sometimes. Not to name drop or to push a product but there is a book I read after not matching that really helped. It is called "200 Tips to a Successful Match" you can get it on Amazon for like $40. It goes over everything from timing of rotations, asking for LoRs, communication pre/post interview, questions, evidence based information of what PDs look for in various specialties, etc. It is worth the purchase and read. What I would recommend is keep your head up and work hard. What is important is that you show growth through your application. Study hard pass CS and do better on CK, show that you continue to study and learn. Try research or present somewhere on a relevant topic. Be prepared to discuss your scores during interviews, what you think happened and make sure your answer is honest and not placing all the blame on something/someone other than yourself. When it comes time to apply be honest about your chances in your chosen specialty. All the passion in the world is unlikely to get a person into ER with low 200s step scores realistically...is it possible yes but is it likely no. Highlight your strengths in your personal statements and embrace and own your weaknesses. Be present and teachable on your rotations. Good luck.

You should be glad to match anywhere with stats like that.

Everyone has chimed in on "chances" and all that.

I want to make sure that you go into FM knowing full and well what you're getting into (whether you'll be satisfied or not). No point of spending 3 years in an FM residency, and then coming out saying "dang, I hate this". Better to leave that spot open for someone who is actually passionate for FM, if you truly arent.

Just my 2 pesos.