Indebtness *MSAR 2007*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoccerMD12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been working on my list of schools to apply to and also considering ED Program or not...

Anyways, one moderate factor is the cost of medical school. One thing that confuses me slightly is the fact that Johns Hopkins has a yearly cost of 36k/year while Indiana University has a yearly cost of 23k/year, while the average indebtness of an IU Grad is nearly 20k MORE than an JH Grad. There are numerous other examples of this as well...

Regardless, I'm just trying to make sense of these statistics... Is it that students of JH just receive more scholarships/grants (and similarly for other top 10 schools)? Or what?

I'm just trying to determine which schools would leave me broke, and which schools would leave me really broke...

Members don't see this ad.

So, I've been working on my list of schools to apply to and also considering ED Program or not...

Anyways, one moderate factor is the cost of medical school. One thing that confuses me slightly is the fact that Johns Hopkins has a yearly cost of 36k/year while Indiana University has a yearly cost of 23k/year, while the average indebtness of an IU Grad is nearly 20k MORE than an JH Grad. There are numerous other examples of this as well...

Regardless, I'm just trying to make sense of these statistics... Is it that students of JH just receive more scholarships/grants (and similarly for other top 10 schools)? Or what?

I'm just trying to determine which schools would leave me broke, and which schools would leave me really broke...

Also some people who have parents/trust funds paying the majority of their educational costs. These things cause skews in the statistics. I would look at each school and assume you get absolutely no aid, and go off that.

Also some people who have parents/trust funds paying the majority of their educational costs. These things cause skews in the statistics. I would look at each school and assume you get absolutely no aid, and go off that.

But if that is the case, you will be short-changing yourself because many of these schools do have large endowments and are generous is providing financial aid to lessen the debt associated with the school.

But if that is the case, you will be short-changing yourself because many of these schools do have large endowments and are generous is providing financial aid to lessen the debt associated with the school.

So what do you believe is more telling? Tuition, Average Debt, or Satistics such as % receiving aid, %receiving grants/scholarships?