MSAR CONFUSION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sampats

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! So I asked on a previous post about how to pick schools with MSAR. The advice I was given was that I should be between the 10th-90th for BOTH GPA/MCAT. I took this advice and have constructed my school list.

However, what I don't seem to understand, and this may just be my own naivety, but why would a school accept a student who has BOTH a below median GPA and MCAT? For example, let's say I'm above the 25th percentile for both GPA and MCAT, however, I'm below the median for both of these values. Why would a school like this accept me given that I'm below their median for both GPA and MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't really understand your question. The accepted median MCAT changes every year, and they don't select people just based on MCAT and GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
median is from previous years stats so they are not constructed out of the wild. Also, schools dont just look at GPA and MCAT, there are always people with MCAT 496 who got accepted into T10 schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
median is from previous years stats so they are not constructed out of the wild. Also, schools dont just look at GPA and MCAT, there are always people with MCAT 496 who got accepted into T10 schools.
Yeah I agree with what you’re saying but the reality is that if you’re an “average” applicant, why would a school select an applicant that’s below their median GPA/MCAT? That person who got the 496 probably had something very unique on their application that med schools have never seen before. What I’m trying to say is that if for example the median GPA/MCAT for a school is 3.8/515, why would that particular school pick the student with the 3.75/512 given the rest of their application is “average”?

Yeah I agree with what you’re saying but the reality is that if you’re an “average” applicant, why would a school select an applicant that’s below their median GPA/MCAT? That person who got the 496 probably had something very unique on their application that med schools have never seen before. What I’m trying to say is that if for example the median GPA/MCAT for a school is 3.8/515, why would that particular school pick the student with the 3.75/512 given the rest of their application is “average”?
From what I understand, they wouldn't. The school would accept the 3.75/512 student if they offered something that the school wants that they'd be willing to overlook a lower GPA/MCAT for.

well that's the thing, they probably wouldn't. doesn't mean you shouldn't apply, and honestly, the only application you know is yours - you shouldn't discount yourself due to perceived shortcomings whether they are real or imagined. people on the internet lie about their applications all the time.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand, they wouldn't. The school would accept the 3.75/512 student if they offered something that the school wants that they'd be willing to overlook a lower GPA/MCAT for.
What would you describe that offering as? Research? Volunteer hours? Etc? Or something else?

well that's the thing, they probably wouldn't. doesn't mean you shouldn't apply, and honestly, the only application you know is yours - you shouldn't discount yourself due to perceived shortcomings whether they are real or imagined. people on the internet lie about their applications all the time.
I agree. There's no way to tell if you are the "average" applicant just by yourself. Maybe your PS stands out or maybe your LOR is stronger.

These are often screening tools. If you get past the screening, then they will look at your statement, letters etc.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! So I asked on a previous post about how to pick schools with MSAR. The advice I was given was that I should be between the 10th-90th for BOTH GPA/MCAT. I took this advice and have constructed my school list.

However, what I don't seem to understand, and this may just be my own naivety, but why would a school accept a student who has BOTH a below median GPA and MCAT? For example, let's say I'm above the 25th percentile for both GPA and MCAT, however, I'm below the median for both of these values. Why would a school like this accept me given that I'm below their median for both GPA and MCAT?
Because those students may have killer ECs, are veterans, URMs, have an exceptional life story, and/or fit the school's mission perfectly.

RE: the bolded...you do understand what a median is? Not everybody can be above average.

The truth is that most schools initially look at Race, MCAT and GPA first. These are often screening tools. If you get past the screening, then they will look at your statement, letters etc. You absolutely need to look at the GPA, MCAT differences between races to make an informed decision.
What would you say those screening tools are? As in, what GPA/MCAT is needed to get past that screening? Is that why everyone says to be above the 10th percentile for MSAR?

Question related to MSAR. If people on pages for specific schools are asking about what post II acceptances are like or what the % of students interviewed is, is it a violation of MSAR confidentiality if I were to answer and provide those numbers? Am I allowed to do that?

Question related to MSAR. If people on pages for specific schools are asking about what post II acceptances are like or what the % of students interviewed is, is it a violation of MSAR confidentiality if I were to answer and provide those numbers? Am I allowed to do that?
As long as you are not copying and pasting directly from behind a paywall, you are fine.