Indecision on PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fortiores

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've been a lurker on this forum for about a year now. I really appreciate all the information this site has given me.
I wanted to reach out to ask for some advice in my particular circumstance, and I apologize if these types of topics are repetitive for you guys.

I am currently a junior majoring in exercise science. My intention is DPT School or Med school. I have done extensive observational hours in-patient and out-patient for PT, and I have also volunteered at my local hospitals for the past 2 years. So I have some decent exposure to both fields. I find myself being extremely indecisive about which path to take, which is not allowing me to hunker-down and really focus-in on my goals. I have a passion for human movement, human performance, sports medicine, human physiology, and human anatomy. If I was to go into medicine, I would most likely gravitate toward a specialty such as physical medicine/sports medicine/rehabilitation. Likewise if I was to go into PT, I would gravitate toward sports medicine/sports performance. Not only would I be interested in the treatment of my patients, but also maximizing their potential in their respective sport or job.

I know you guys must encounter indecision in this forum frequently, and I know it is difficult to make a case on which path to take on little information. I understand that I posted this topic on the physical therapy forum portion of this site, but if it is possible, I would like the responses to be as objective as they could possibly be.

I appreciate any advice that is given and thank you all for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot plays into this. It depends on what you want most: money, patient interaction, responsibility, lifestyle, etc. I briefly dealt with this question, but after meeting a physiatrist, my priorities became very clear and my thoughts about becoming a PT were reconfirmed. While doctor money would be nice, I realized that I would be happier living a moderate lifestyle, working hands on with patients, and having personal time to spend with my family. Physicians make great money, but often end up forgetting what free time, or family time is (not all, but too high of a percentage).

Also understand that as you seek a career, the demand for sports medicine is much less than that for geriatrics. Becoming a PT almost assuredly means working with older adults or children.

I'm unsure if my little story give you much, but I hope it helps. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Being engaged to a physician, I can definitely confirm everything Johnnyidaho says. He hit all the major points and differences between the lifestyle/finances of a physiatrist and PT.

I chose to do PT simply because you get to interact more with patients and work directly with them to improve their function and mobility. Even though you are not an MD, you still get to be your own boss more or less. I originally wanted to do sports medicine however I realized that realistically I have to be prepared for geriatrics as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone.

I've been a lurker on this forum for about a year now. I really appreciate all the information this site has given me.
I wanted to reach out to ask for some advice in my particular circumstance, and I apologize if these types of topics are repetitive for you guys.

I am currently a junior majoring in exercise science. My intention is DPT School or Med school. I have done extensive observational hours in-patient and out-patient for PT, and I have also volunteered at my local hospitals for the past 2 years. So I have some decent exposure to both fields. I find myself being extremely indecisive about which path to take, which is not allowing me to hunker-down and really focus-in on my goals. I have a passion for human movement, human performance, sports medicine, human physiology, and human anatomy. If I was to go into medicine, I would most likely gravitate toward a specialty such as physical medicine/sports medicine/rehabilitation. Likewise if I was to go into PT, I would gravitate toward sports medicine/sports performance. Not only would I be interested in the treatment of my patients, but also maximizing their potential in their respective sport or job.

I know you guys must encounter indecision in this forum frequently, and I know it is difficult to make a case on which path to take on little information. I understand that I posted this topic on the physical therapy forum portion of this site, but if it is possible, I would like the responses to be as objective as they could possibly be.

I appreciate any advice that is given and thank you all for your time.

This happens all the time, don't worry you're not alone! In fact I found myself in the same position at the end of my sophomore year.

This may sound super cheesy, but you have to think about what will make you most happy in life. Forget the salary, the loans, the course load, all of that. From the sounds of it you've done plenty of shadowing to understand how each field differs from one another, because they are in fact very different, and you can likely picture yourself in either position. At this point you just have to choose what feels more "right" for you. And it may be both, but that's when it gets tough and a decision needs to be made. The sooner that decision is made the better!

For a long time just like you I was really tourn between two great career paths. I spoke with both physical therapists and physicians regarding the lifestyles they lived. I found that PTs had much more flexibility when it came to their hours, their place of work, the variety of patients they could treat etc. Also, I personally would like to get married one day and start a family, but not necessarily 8-10 years from now when I finish medical school, residency etc.

Aside from the lifestyle differences, the more and more exposure to the different fields of PT I gained, the more I fell in love with it. I feel like medicine is so specialized these days that it may become boring very quickly. Of course most careers may become boring after many years, but at least with PT there are many different options to get bored with!

Either career you choose though, there's no room for indecisiveness so you better decide soon! :p

Seriously though, good luck in whatever you decide, hope this helped!

Your scope of practice will definitely be more expansive as a physician. Even in 2014, physicians are the gatekeeper of the health care industry. The debt to income ratio is more favorable too.

However, you have to find your own residencies, where you will work 70-80 hours a week. Often you are forced into a specialty and don't get to choose it. You will not spend nearly as much time with patients as you would as a physical therapist. Can you imagine going to school for four years and then doing a three-year residency only to work with patients for 10 minutes? You will have to put your whole life on hold until you finish medical school.

Job satisfaction is high for physical therapists, while low for most physicians, especially internists. Burn out is high among physicians. If you can keep your debt to a minimum while in PT school, then I suggest PT school. You can specialize wherever you want, perform examinations, and open your own practice some day.