Independent Contracting Advice

Started by Adab
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Adab

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know it is common for retina/plastics/other sub-specialists to often go to another eye clinic 1 or so days a week to provide services. They provide their services and get reimbursed often as a percentage of collections. I wanted to poll the forum to see what is a fair percentage. 35%, 50%? Set up different for clinic vs surgery? If that eye group is providing the patients and building space but not liability insurance, benefits, or a base salary, what would be a good number for payment in terms of percentage of collections?
 
I have been seeking out such opportunities and have heard similar numbers. I have heard numbers of 50%, 47.5% and 40% of collections as baseline offers from different practices. In all of these setting the practice is providing patients/technicians/supplies etc. without liability insurance, benefits, base salary etc. Some do and do not provide extra for surgeries performed. I do think that it's possibility to negotiate this number up in certain situations.

Each of these arrangement requires that I set up my own corporation and bill as an independent contractor. This means filing my own taxes, providing liability insurance, health insurance, etc. I hope that helps.