independent pharmacy desperate for pic

Started by deleted319231
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted319231

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

few months ago i posted that i left a retail chain to join a startup independent pharmacy in a grocery store which did not work out. i'm unemployed but still not regretting my decision to leave the chain. I have been interviewing at many independents and i came across one that is desperately seeking a pic. The owner is not a pharmacist, does not know how to operate a pharmacy and I seriously have no idea why she ever decided to open a pharmacy.... so i can basically make this operation mine. Only thing that's holding me back is the legal and regulatory side of things. I feel like the pharmacy is a bit of a mess (record keeping, tons of expired meds on the shelves, etc) and i was wondering if there was anything i could do protect myself if i take it over. I'm wondering if I just offer to buy the pharmacy (change in ownership) do i still inherit the mess from the previous owner or is it like starting with a clean slate and what happens to the contracts with the 3rd parties. Also, does anyone know of a pharmacy consultant agency that can come to the pharmacy and help me put it in order. Most likely not going to go through with it but still want to get some ideas. BTW pharmacy is located in the Bronx. Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

few months ago i posted that i left a retail chain to join a startup independent pharmacy in a grocery store which did not work out. i'm unemployed but still not regretting my decision to leave the chain. I have been interviewing at many independents and i came across one that is desperately seeking a pic. The owner is not a pharmacist, does not know how to operate a pharmacy and I seriously have no idea why she ever decided to open a pharmacy.... so i can basically make this operation mine. Only thing that's holding me back is the legal and regulatory side of things. I feel like the pharmacy is a bit of a mess (record keeping, tons of expired meds on the shelves, etc) and i was wondering if there was anything i could do protect myself if i take it over. I'm wondering if I just offer to buy the pharmacy (change in ownership) do i still inherit the mess from the previous owner or is it like starting with a clean slate and what happens to the contracts with the 3rd parties. Also, does anyone know of a pharmacy consultant agency that can come to the pharmacy and help me put it in order. Most likely not going to go through with it but still want to get some ideas. BTW pharmacy is located in the Bronx. Thanks.
Your are probably better off starting your own from scratch.
 
The owner is not a pharmacist, does not know how to operate a pharmacy and I seriously have no idea why she ever decided to open a pharmacy

sound like the beginning of every single pharmacy fairy tale.

My other favorite thing to hear from an owner is that they "like to treat employees like friends and family"
 
sound like the beginning of every single pharmacy fairy tale.

My other favorite thing to hear from an owner is that they "like to treat employees like friends and family"
Many of them will change their attitude once somebody is under their payroll.

Their definition of 'treating like family' means a lot different from our definition of 'protecting our own interest and license'.
 
My other favorite thing to hear from an owner is that they "like to treat employees like friends and family"

I come from, and have known, enough dysfunctional families, that I would run as fast as I could from someone who said they were going to treat me "like family." For many people, "family", is someone they can abuse and exploit without repercussions.
 
I love your style Sparda29! You have had more different pharmacist jobs in the past 3 years, then most New York pharmacists will have in their lifetime!

Not really, I mean I've been per diem in hospital and LTC for the last 3 years and full-time independent SP. I've been waiting since 2015 to get a permanent job in hospital. That's how tight the market is. I've gotten many interviews the last 4 years, I've gotten temp hospital offers, but permanent offers are rare. And I got a cushy 7 day on 7 day off overnight gig.

I've been combining that with cash money from independent pharmacy like 2-3 days a week on my week off to boost income. Working 3 days a week at an independent on my off week for 8 hours each day adds about $3000 a month cash to my income.
 
Not really, I mean I've been per diem in hospital and LTC for the last 3 years and full-time independent SP. I've been waiting since 2015 to get a permanent job in hospital. That's how tight the market is. I've gotten many interviews the last 4 years, I've gotten temp hospital offers, but permanent offers are rare. And I got a cushy 7 day on 7 day off overnight gig.

I've been combining that with cash money from independent pharmacy like 2-3 days a week on my week off to boost income. Working 3 days a week at an independent on my off week for 8 hours each day adds about $3000 a month cash to my income.
you pay taxes on that 3k in cash or keep it under your mattress?
 
Not really, I mean I've been per diem in hospital and LTC for the last 3 years and full-time independent SP. I've been waiting since 2015 to get a permanent job in hospital. That's how tight the market is. I've gotten many interviews the last 4 years, I've gotten temp hospital offers, but permanent offers are rare. And I got a cushy 7 day on 7 day off overnight gig.

I've been combining that with cash money from independent pharmacy like 2-3 days a week on my week off to boost income. Working 3 days a week at an independent on my off week for 8 hours each day adds about $3000 a month cash to my income.

The man....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not really, I mean I've been per diem in hospital and LTC for the last 3 years and full-time independent SP. I've been waiting since 2015 to get a permanent job in hospital. That's how tight the market is. I've gotten many interviews the last 4 years, I've gotten temp hospital offers, but permanent offers are rare. And I got a cushy 7 day on 7 day off overnight gig.

I've been combining that with cash money from independent pharmacy like 2-3 days a week on my week off to boost income. Working 3 days a week at an independent on my off week for 8 hours each day adds about $3000 a month cash to my income.
I'm sure you are probably violating at least one of your contracts in doing so but imagine you are already aware but choose to do so anyways...because it's the way of the sparda. God only knows how sparda will manage to F it up