Independent Research Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

propsych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolled in a survey research course for which I needed to create a survey questionnaire. Instead of doing this I decided to take the opportunity of having an adviser and decided to make my "survey" one of an experimental nature and submitted it to the IRB at my college.

I received approval and due to specific participant pool issues, will likely only get 1 (ONE!! ahhh) day of data collection before the semester ends. Because I would ideally like to get a poster out of this research, I was thinking of just doing the official study next semester, and for the purposes of my class, i would just send this survey to friends..and friends of friends etc.

Basically my questions are: Should I try to run this study next semester in order to obtain data/ posters from it, or should I just do the class project via alternative sampling and move on? Would i be able to create a poster for a conference if I used a non-IRB approved sampling method such as snowballing etc? I need to improve my research credentials for phd program applications, and since I have already done all of the preparation for this study (methodology/IRB) it would be a shame to give up on it.

Background: It's not a big study, just a small one in which I create two primes, a neg and a pos. one) in the form of a short paragraph. This paragraph will describe the task the participant will do next (a mirror tracing task) in either a way that sets an expectation of frustration or challenging fun. The purpose is to see if expectations of a task affect the performance on the task as well as subjective experience and appraisal of that task.

Thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Basically my questions are: Should I try to run this study next semester in order to obtain data/ posters from it, or should I just do the class project via alternative sampling and move on? Would i be able to create a poster for a conference if I used a non-IRB approved sampling method such as snowballing etc? I need to improve my research credentials for phd program applications, and since I have already done all of the preparation for this study (methodology/IRB) it would be a shame to give up on it.

These are all good questions for your faculty advisor, who should be able to give an informed opinion about whether this is publishable or at least acceptable for a conference presentation.

You can always amend your IRB protocol to include snowball sampling or other recruitment methods.

These are all good questions for your faculty advisor, who should be able to give an informed opinion about whether this is publishable or at least acceptable for a conference presentation.

You can always amend your IRB protocol to include snowball sampling or other recruitment methods.

I will try to ask my lab's PI as the advisor on this project specifically is not in psychology, and doesn't really do any psychological research (only does survey polling etc). I thought about amending it to this method as well, which would let me do the sampling over the summer (since I won't be reliant on an undergraduate research participant pool). Thanks for the reply :)