independent research topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Holden21

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody out there have a good idea for an independent research project that is dental related? (I am an applicant this cycle) I need a one credit independent research project for my last semester at college, so I figured I might as well make it dental related. There are a couple of dental offices near college where I can trade work (assisting, filing, sterilizing,etc.) for doing some independent research, but I am brain dead for a topic. Every topic I come up with (link between smoking & periodontal disease/childhood flouride treatments & cavities later in life/bleaching and weakening of enamel)seems like they would take more than four months time to complete and that is all I've got.

Members don't see this ad.

Holden21 said:
Anybody out there have a good idea for an independent research project that is dental related? (I am an applicant this cycle) I need a one credit independent research project for my last semester at college, so I figured I might as well make it dental related. There are a couple of dental offices near college where I can trade work (assisting, filing, sterilizing,etc.) for doing some independent research, but I am brain dead for a topic. Every topic I come up with (link between smoking & periodontal disease/childhood flouride treatments & cavities later in life/bleaching and weakening of enamel)seems like they would take more than four months time to complete and that is all I've got.

I started looking a little bit into this, but you can look at the insidence of phantom toothy syndrome in patients who have their roots extracted. It is a topic which is interesting because, if its missdiagnosed, it can lead to extraction of a healthy tooth and eventual malpractice.

I think a great topic would be an investigation on why AADSAS is so slow and loses so much information, and then charges so much money to send off our stuff to the schools. That would benefit pre-dental students across the nation.

That is a great idea but I don't think my college will give me credit for it-good idea though, we should all plan a field trip to Chicago & stage a 'Watergate' to find out what goes on at 'Headquarters' with our applications. I envision a Star Wars bar scene where the characters are shooting paper airplanes made out of letters of recommendation at each other.