Independent RN Prescribing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

20gauge

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an RN working in the hospital setting. I have read numerous interesting discussions on this forum regarding mid-level creep and the ongoing divide between MDs and NPs. Unfortunately, changes are being made on Ontario, Canada that will make conversation even more interesting in the near future.

The Minister of Health and Long Term Care recently announced potential changes to the Nursing Act that will allow RNs the ability to communicate diagnoses and prescribe medication independently (!). According to the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario, RNs who prescribe will require a measly 300 hours of additional education that is hoped to be rolled into the RN undergraduate program by 2020.

THIS IS INSANE. I have no business prescribing medications as an RN. 300 hours of training? Really?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well this certainly will not kill just a small amount of patients.

Eric Hoskins seems to be hellbent to bring 3rd world hut medicine to the 1st world. #MakeShamansGreatAgain #LoweringCostsGulagStyle

Reactions: 3 users
At that point just make all the PO meds over the counter. You can see your healthcare provider of choice regarding recommendations on what you should take.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At that point just make all the PO meds over the counter. You can see your healthcare provider of choice regarding recommendations on what you should take.

And they should definitely shut down those money grubbing ERs . All patients should be directed to chief shaman Eric Hoskins hut.

Last edited:
RN malpractice insurance just went up 500℅

This is not gonna end well. Why the hell is Canada trying to shoot itself in the foot?

Reactions: 1 user
Can't wait till RNs start prescribing pain pills

This is not gonna end well. Why the hell is Canada trying to shoot itself in the foot?
They're terrible at everything. See their leader for example

Members don't see this ad :)

I have no idea, but I do know I will not agree to work bedside if/when it goes through. I have no business prescribing medications with 300 hours of additional training. I have a healthy respect for the fact that I don't know what I don't know, and I'm not willing to find out the hard way.

I have no idea, but I do know I will not agree to work bedside if/when it goes through. I have no business prescribing medications with 300 hours of additional training. I have a healthy respect for the fact that I don't know what I don't know, and I'm not willing to find out the hard way.
when in doubt just prescribe sleep and fluid and maybe netflix

I would be willing to bet that Canadian nurses will push hard against this (as well as providers, I am sure). Nurses do not want independent prescribing privileges as RNs and the malpractice insurance and responsibility that goes with it. Understanding what the meds do and why they're ordered for a patient is a far cry from prescribing them after making a diagnosis. This will be another thing that drives nurses out of the profession if the proposed changes are made to the nurse practice act up there.

Reactions: 1 user
Because they have little to zero national culture and ethics ?
Ummm, hockey, poutine, ketchup potato chips, Molson, Rush, The Kids in The Hall, etc. Care to elaborate as to how Canada is lacking in ethics or "falling apart"?

Basically I can't imagine a patriotic Canadian.

robfordeyes.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So a semi-popular sport that every country where it snows practices , some obscure foods and some other cultural insignificant things ? Yea now that's the basis of culture and ethics , surely the men of Canada would gladly give their lives for some poutine ?

Last edited:
So a semi-popular sport that every country where it snows practices , some obscure foods and some other cultural insignificant things ? Yea now that's the basis of culture and ethics , surely the men of Canadia would gladly give their lives for some poutine ?

You in the right thread bro?

So a semi-popular sport that every country where it snows practices , some obscure foods and some other cultural insignificant things ? Yea now that's the basis of culture and ethics , surely the men of Canada would gladly give their lives for some poutine ?
Solid argument...

Last edited:
This (if it happens) will not end well.

I'll never forget the time I was on night-float intern year and the RN paged RT to come give one of the 50-60 patients I was covering a neb treatment. He was wheezing and had sats in the 70's. I got no notification of this until 3 or 4 rounds of duonebs hadn't "fixed him".

He had COPD, but also had CHF and A-fib. Had slipped into RVR and flashed.

I'm sure that nurse felt confident that he just needed the neb (he was wheezy, but it was a cardiac wheeze).

Im not saying there aren't RN's who could do OK with some minor prescribing; but at the end of the day, nurses just don't have the training or background for med-management or diagnosis. They shouldn't be prescribing.

Last edited: