Independent Study Topics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mel Belle

Cooler than absolute zero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I emailed my to-be research mentor in the spring asking about what I can do this fall to prepare myself for research with her in the spring (aside from taking the required classes necessary to do biochem research), asking if she thought auditing her biochem course would be a good idea, or if she had any other idea for what I could do. She told me that auditing her biochem class would not be a good idea just due to the class set-up, so she suggested independent study.

The only thing is... I'm not at all sure what to do. I haven't taken biochem yet so I don't know of what sorta topics it entails, meaning I have no real ideas on what to do for an independent study. Even more so, I'm not sure what sort of thing I would be able to do while concurrently taking cell/molec bio and orgo. I suppose it doesn't need to be biochem-related, but something along those lines (within bio or chem) would probably be better than a physics independent study, you know?

If anyone has suggestions on how to figure out a topic, or even suggestions for a topic? I've never done IS before so I'm not sure what to do. All I know is that I will need to have this figured out pretty much by the end of the first week of classes (the deadline is September 3rd, classes start August 26th) so the sooner I can figure something out the better.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me along! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
(I didn't find any thread topics that seem to address what I'm looking to address. So I posted a new one.)

I emailed my to-be research mentor in the spring asking about what I can do this fall to prepare myself for research with her in the spring (aside from taking the required classes necessary to do biochem research), asking if she thought auditing her biochem course would be a good idea, or if she had any other idea for what I could do. She told me that auditing her biochem class would not be a good idea just due to the class set-up, so she suggested independent study.

The only thing is... I'm not at all sure what to do. I haven't taken biochem yet so I don't know of what sorta topics it entails, meaning I have no real ideas on what to do for an independent study. Even more so, I'm not sure what sort of thing I would be able to do while concurrently taking cell/molec bio and orgo. I suppose it doesn't need to be biochem-related, but something along those lines (within bio or chem) would probably be better than a physics independent study, you know?

If anyone has suggestions on how to figure out a topic, or even suggestions for a topic? I've never done IS before so I'm not sure what to do. All I know is that I will need to have this figured out pretty much by the end of the first week of classes (the deadline is September 3rd, classes start August 26th) so the sooner I can figure something out the better.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me along! :D
You know what this reminds me of? Remember that list of topics for the science fair back in grade school?

Here's a tip: The IVCDV (I'm not even sure if the letters are in correct order) chart. You must first identify a problem, conjure a hypothesis, and yadi-yadi-yada....blah, blah, blah.... it's all pretty much elucidated in the beginning of any of your basic science textbooks.

My main message here: research should be passionate.:cool:

You know what this reminds me of? Remember that list of topics for the science fair back in grade school?

Here's a tip: The IVCDV (I'm not even sure if the letters are in correct order) chart. You must first identify a problem, conjure a hypothesis, and yadi-yadi-yada....blah, blah, blah.... it's all pretty much elucidated in the beginning of any of your basic science textbooks.

My main message here: research should be passionate.:cool:

I definitely agree on the passion thing. It just seems like there's so much possibility I don't know where to even start! I'm an IS noob.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely agree on the passion thing. It just seems like there's so much possibility I don't know where to even start! I'm an IS noob.
Well, we can't define your passion; however, we can certainly provide you with suggestions.

Here's mine:
Step 1: Look up any professors' web page(s)/CV and look up their research interests.
Step 2: Do some googlin'/research to see if any passion is there.
Step 3: Put on a big and sincere smile.:)
Step 4: Go to the professor of interest, preferably during office hours, then discuss with him/her about your newly found passion.
Step 5: You need to be convincing/persuasive by demonstrating that you have an interest in his/her research topic.

*To be convincing/persuasive you must have done your research prior to asking for research.

And there you have it.:)

I think this is overkill. Best way to prepare would be to read review papers related to the main focus of investigation in your future PI's lab, or better yet, related to the specific project you'll be working on. If you have trouble finding these independently, you could ask the PI for a reading list. He/she may even have one on the lab website (assuming one exists).

Here's an idea: at my university, Biochem courses had honors sections which were basically bimonthly meetings where we discussed papers. If something like this exists at your school I think it would be helpful to sit in on.

I'm assuming you've taken molecular and cell bio? You should have a sufficient understanding to dive into a review paper. Especially with your prior research experience.

Are you in UG?

Yes. I'm a sophomore in UG.

I think this is overkill. Best way to prepare would be to read review papers related to the main focus of investigation in your future PI's lab, or better yet, related to the specific project you'll be working on. If you have trouble finding these independently, you could ask the PI for a reading list. He/she may even have one on the lab website (assuming one exists).

Here's an idea: at my university, Biochem courses had honors sections which were basically bimonthly meetings where we discussed papers. If something like this exists at your school I think it would be helpful to sit in on.

I'm assuming you've taken molecular and cell bio? You should have a sufficient understanding to dive into a review paper. Especially with your prior research experience.

I'll be taking cell/molec bio, orgo, calc-based physics, and calc concurrently with the independent study. I would assume that it's okay considering that the biochemist suggested an IS, knowing what classes I'll be taking. I don't think it has to be on a subject related to her field of study, but I think it would be a better use of my time if I did go with something similar. I can choose between 1-3 credit hours. So I would have a total of 17-19 credits with the independent study. I was thinking that 1 would be sufficient so I don't go overkill. But would that look particularly bad?

This is what's posted for Dr. Beaty's research interests (she's who I'll be working with):
  • The effects of environmental agents, hormones and growth factors on gene expression, especially with respect to cell growth and differentiation. The model system is the gonads of a hermaphroditic fish.
  • Genetic diversity within an insect population.

Yes. I'm a sophomore in UG.

I'll be taking cell/molec bio, orgo, calc-based physics, and calc concurrently with the independent study. I would assume that it's okay considering that the biochemist suggested an IS, knowing what classes I'll be taking. I don't think it has to be on a subject related to her field of study, but I think it would be a better use of my time if I did go with something similar. I can choose between 1-3 credit hours. So I would have a total of 17-19 credits with the independent study. I was thinking that 1 would be sufficient so I don't go overkill. But would that look particularly bad?

Of course not. If you are dead set on doing an IS (which I still don't really see as a must), even one credit hour is fine. At least you'll get into a lab and get to learn a few protocols. I mean, you're just doing this as prep for the actual research position you want.

Of course not. If you are dead set on doing an IS (which I still don't really see as a must), even one credit hour is fine. At least you'll get into a lab and get to learn a few protocols. I mean, you're just doing this as prep for the actual research position you want.

I was under the assumption that IS meant studying a topic on your own via a plan created by you and your mentor, then meeting with your mentor every week or two, not that I would be getting into a lab. That's what she was telling me, anyway. I don't think I can get into a lab with her this fall under any circumstances, unless maybe I try and shadow. But it seems to me like doing this IS would help me "get in good" with her in addition to learning about what I will be working on with her in the lab.

I was under the assumption that IS meant studying a topic on your own via a plan created by you and your mentor, then meeting with your mentor every week or two, not that I would be getting into a lab. That's what she was telling me, anyway. I don't think I can get into a lab with her this fall under any circumstances, unless maybe I try and shadow. But it seems to me like doing this IS would help me "get in good" with her in addition to learning about what I will be working on with her in the lab.
Try asking a him instead.

You're right. I was thinking about a similar program we had at my school that was like IS + research credit. You had it right, my bad. That sounds like a great opportunity.

You're right. I was thinking about a similar program we had at my school that was like IS + research credit. You had it right, my bad. That sounds like a great opportunity.

Yeah! I'm excited. :D I just have to pick a topic, now... Hmm.

Does anyone have advice on how to pick out a topic... I know that's kinda what the point of this thread is and people have already answered... But I was thinking...

If I need to have cell/molec bio and orgo as a pre-req (at least one semester) for biochem research then how do I know I'm picking a topic I will be able to handle if I'm taking those courses simultaneously with the IS? I wouldn't wanna try and go about designing an IS course only to find out it will be a little over my head without those pre-reqs. I do like a challenge, but I do want to keep in mind that the point of me taking on the IS is to pursue an interesting topic with passion not with overflowing frustration of being unprepared to tackle the subject. I just want to pick out a topic wisely.