Independent vs Retail. Which would you choose?

Started by Oink
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Oink

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a friend who recently graduated and has been working with Walgreens for a couple months. She got offered a job at an independent, but isn't sure if she should take it. These are the things she is considering:

1) Walgreens:

Pros: Better pay (I think 65/hr), staff pharmacist, only 5-10 min drive, and used to retail. Her store apparently might start compounding soon or something but I'm not sure.

Cons: Busy, more stressful, has always thought about leaving retail one day

2) Independent:

Pros: Less stressful, way more staffed, I think does compounding as well
Cons: Less pay (50/hr?), 40 min drive

At first I told her to take the independent because I know a lot of my friends are trying to get out of retail as fast as they can. But then I thought about our loans, and job security. I've heard a couple independents around our area that are closing down or getting in trouble for doing some sketchy things. She is also hoping to find a job in her home town in a couple years so she is also trying to think about the future as well.

What would you guys choose? Is it safe to choose an independent pharmacy straight out of graduation? Does an independent pharmacy look better on a resume compared to a retail pharmacy?
 
It really depends on your friends preference. I personally would not want to commute 40min each way especially with less pay to spend on gas. Also you might want to consider whether it's an area where Walgreen's bought some other stores. Is her store in danger of closing?
 
I have a friend who recently graduated and has been working with Walgreens for a couple months. She got offered a job at an independent, but isn't sure if she should take it. These are the things she is considering:

1) Walgreens:

Pros: Better pay (I think 65/hr), staff pharmacist, only 5-10 min drive, and used to retail. Her store apparently might start compounding soon or something but I'm not sure.

Cons: Busy, more stressful, has always thought about leaving retail one day

2) Independent:

Pros: Less stressful, way more staffed, I think does compounding as well
Cons: Less pay (50/hr?), 40 min drive

At first I told her to take the independent because I know a lot of my friends are trying to get out of retail as fast as they can. But then I thought about our loans, and job security. I've heard a couple independents around our area that are closing down or getting in trouble for doing some sketchy things. She is also hoping to find a job in her home town in a couple years so she is also trying to think about the future as well.

What would you guys choose? Is it safe to choose an independent pharmacy straight out of graduation? Does an independent pharmacy look better on a resume compared to a retail pharmacy?
People with independent experience can always get another retail job.
People with only retail experience can't always just get another independent job.

Usually, if I see ONLY retail on a resume, I will really give them a hard interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Really have to look at the benefits offered by the independent, I was in the exact same situation as your friend about three years ago, the pay per hour was $12/hr different so I figured out the cut would be around 25k/year. In subsequent questioning, however, I found out that the independent was offering absolutely zero benefits, thus with 401k match, insurance, PTO, holidays, ESPP, and bonus the difference really was closer to $55k/year.

I would probably have jumped ship if the pay difference was only 25k/year pre-tax, but 55k was way too much to stomach. (oh the commute was the exact same for both jobs as they were directly across the street from each other)
 
It really depends on your friends preference. I personally would not want to commute 40min each way especially with less pay to spend on gas. Also you might want to consider whether it's an area where Walgreen's bought some other stores. Is her store in danger of closing?

No it's not in danger of closing or anything. The only factor money-wise that will persuade her one way or the other is the benefits but I'm not sure if that independent offers any. However, she also wants to pay off her loans as fast as possible.

People with independent experience can always get another retail job.
People with only retail experience can't always just get another independent job.

Usually, if I see ONLY retail on a resume, I will really give them a hard interview.

What makes it different if it's only independent experience on a resume then? Either way, my friend is going to have compounding experience from either Walgreens or the independent. Does working in an independent help her land a job in another independent pharmacy when she plans to move in the future?

Also no matter which one she chooses, she will want to leave in a year or two to find a job at her original hometown area. So that is why she is considering what would look better in her resume. She has always wanted to work at an independent because of the work environment being usually less stressful, but is trying to be cautious because of the bad things she has heard about other independents around us right now.
 
Last edited:
I usually say it's impossible to give advice that means anything bc every independent is different due to ownership, type of business operation, etc (maybe that's why it's called independent). However, a 15 dollar per hour difference? Unless Walgreens is completely intolerable, can't justify leaving and giving up 30K/yr. especially without loans paid off and being semi established financially. Walgeens looks fine on a resume, arguably #1 chain in America. I dunno where you guys live, but 50 an hour/abt 104K annually can be hard considering loans, etc.
 
40 vs 5-10 minute commute is a big negative to me, that's an extra 2.5 hours in your car every week.
 
After some thinking, I believe my friend is leaning more towards staying with Walgreens. She would've chosen the independent if she was more financially comfortable and is more willing to take a pay cut. Sure maybe less work stress is worth the pay cut, but she isn't planning to stay super long term with either pharmacy. Also another factor is that her Walgreens does some compounding or something at her store so they are going to train her at that stuff too. If the independent was in a desirable place to live then maybe she would take it, but right now we live in rural areas so driving to another rural area to work doesn't really help.
 
I have a friend who recently graduated and has been working with Walgreens for a couple months. She got offered a job at an independent, but isn't sure if she should take it. These are the things she is considering:

1) Walgreens:

Pros: Better pay (I think 65/hr), staff pharmacist, only 5-10 min drive, and used to retail. Her store apparently might start compounding soon or something but I'm not sure.

Cons: Busy, more stressful, has always thought about leaving retail one day

2) Independent:

Pros: Less stressful, way more staffed, I think does compounding as well
Cons: Less pay (50/hr?), 40 min drive

At first I told her to take the independent because I know a lot of my friends are trying to get out of retail as fast as they can. But then I thought about our loans, and job security. I've heard a couple independents around our area that are closing down or getting in trouble for doing some sketchy things. She is also hoping to find a job in her home town in a couple years so she is also trying to think about the future as well.

What would you guys choose? Is it safe to choose an independent pharmacy straight out of graduation? Does an independent pharmacy look better on a resume compared to a retail pharmacy?

EASY CHOICE
At 65 I would go to WG hands down...the 65 rate indicates its in a hard to staff area, so better companies such as CVS and Walmart will be hiring soon. Do you want to learn the independent trade tho? You can make even more money there...
 
Nevermind, the independent is actually offering $62/hour. There are benefits such as medical and 401k, but not as good as WAG. Now my friend is torn between choosing the two again lol. I guess the $50/hour and no benefits was just an assumption before she spoke to the indie.
 
Unless she is willing to move, who wants to waste 80 minutes in commute everyday? I for one add commute into hourly pay which drastically lowers it.
 
Unless she is willing to move, who wants to waste 80 minutes in commute everyday? I for one add commute into hourly pay which drastically lowers it.
Yeah that is one of the factors into her decision. However, she's used to driving far so maybe she's okay with it. Also the indie isn't open on weekends so she will never have to work weekends. If she chooses the indie, she's also scared about telling her store she is gonna quit lol.
 
From the resume standpoint, if you jump too quickly, it does look bad if the move is planned (it's pretty easy to explain for the unplanned: my spouse got a new job in another city/my family member fell ill and I'm the caretaker, and yeah, it sucks to quit an independent after only a year). From the environment factor, I'd do it after I saw how that pharmacy ran. I would not take the owner's word for it, I'd actually would want to work a couple of no commitment locum shifts (or a couple of observation shifts) to see as chains are relatively consistent, but independents can be run very differently.

Scared about quitting is something that should not be thought of in a capitalist society. Look, the only defense a laborer has in such a system is to whom they sell their labor. Unless she does something stupid like no-warn quit or acts like a complete jerk at the end, two weeks professional notice and being faithful to that, there's no loyalty in those circumstances and your friend can be replaced.

On a different topic, are you doing ok?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
People with independent experience can always get another retail job.
People with only retail experience can't always just get another independent job.

Usually, if I see ONLY retail on a resume, I will really give them a hard interview.
Whats the point of doing that? Do you not think people who only have retail experience on resume are trying to explore into other fields? Market sucks and for most of us maybe retail is all thats available given the saturdation. Maybe the job theyre interviewing for is them trying to do something more than retail and further their career and then ppl like you deny them that opportunity because you think they are not good enough due to only having retail experience.
 
Whats the point of doing that? Do you not think people who only have retail experience on resume are trying to explore into other fields? Market sucks and for most of us maybe retail is all thats available given the saturdation. Maybe the job theyre interviewing for is them trying to do something more than retail and further their career and then ppl like you deny them that opportunity because you think they are not good enough due to only having retail experience.
It keeps out entitled brats like you.

People tend to show their true colors when you expose them to stress.

I'm not interested in the spiel they practiced in the mirror.
 
Let go from RAD where I was getting 5 weeks vacation and making $63/hr to an independent. Small pay cut but zero extra pay and benefits and would make the change every time to avoid working at a chain. Getting to have a normal meal schedule and short weekends on top of a more relaxed work pace means more than money to me. No flu shots, no metrics and no DM BS anymore. My blood pressure alone is enough reason to never go back.
 
From the resume standpoint, if you jump too quickly, it does look bad if the move is planned (it's pretty easy to explain for the unplanned: my spouse got a new job in another city/my family member fell ill and I'm the caretaker, and yeah, it sucks to quit an independent after only a year). From the environment factor, I'd do it after I saw how that pharmacy ran. I would not take the owner's word for it, I'd actually would want to work a couple of no commitment locum shifts (or a couple of observation shifts) to see as chains are relatively consistent, but independents can be run very differently.

Scared about quitting is something that should not be thought of in a capitalist society. Look, the only defense a laborer has in such a system is to whom they sell their labor. Unless she does something stupid like no-warn quit or acts like a complete jerk at the end, two weeks professional notice and being faithful to that, there's no loyalty in those circumstances and your friend can be replaced.

On a different topic, are you doing ok?

I'm doing great, thanks for asking! Working as a retail pharmacist was a pretty smooth transition and I feel like I am working well with my coworkers.

My friend ended up choosing the independent after all. I told my friend about your advice on asking the independent about volunteering for a little bit to see how it's like to work there. She tried it and ended up liking it. She feels bad about leaving her Walgreens store because she likes her coworkers and the PIC was a good mentor for her during those short few months. But then realized how corporate makes it more stressful to work because of the metrics and cutting hours.