india pharmacy grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I never post in here, i usually stick to Pre-Allo. but my cousin just moved from India and she's got her bachelors in pharmacy. do you know what states it's easier to get her licensed in the states? Any help would be greatlllly appreciated. Thanks guys. (and gals)

Members don't see this ad.

mmm I think New Mexico UNM has a great pharmacy school. But this friend of mine who came from india did not get liscenced.. well he did his masters and now is doing a phd...Got his primary pharmacy degree in india though and then took the GRE.

Thats all I can contribute to this sorry..

from what i've noticed, most people who come here from other countries with a bachelor's in pharmacy have a hard time getting liscensed. i think this is probably due to the fact that all pharmacy programs in the US are not doctorate (PharmD) programs.
good luck to her!

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, one more thing. my husband is currently in a PharmD program. there are many indian grad students in his school that have a bachelors in pharmacy from india. i don't know their circumstances, but could be added to what priyanka said.

Hi
do u know anything about pharmacy courses structure in India. planning to go to india (madras). after that go for medical college here.
thnaks

QUOTE=apgmph]sorry, one more thing. my husband is currently in a PharmD program. there are many indian grad students in his school that have a bachelors in pharmacy from india. i don't know their circumstances, but could be added to what priyanka said.[/QUOTE]

APGMPH,

i sent a pm to you.
thanks

apgmph said:
sorry, one more thing. my husband is currently in a PharmD program. there are many indian grad students in his school that have a bachelors in pharmacy from india. i don't know their circumstances, but could be added to what priyanka said.

virilep said:
hey guys, I never post in here, i usually stick to Pre-Allo. but my cousin just moved from India and she's got her bachelors in pharmacy. do you know what states it's easier to get her licensed in the states? Any help would be greatlllly appreciated. Thanks guys. (and gals)

I'm not sure which states are easier. But it definitely does differ from state to state. Some states have very strict licensure regulations regarding foreign-trained pharmacists. Alabama, Montana, and Wyoming prohibit foreign pharmacists from the practice of pharmacy, even if they pass the equivalency and national bard examinations. Illinois requires an additional three and half years of pharmacy school for foreign pharmacy graduates. You might want to check with each state's board of pharmacy. Also, the exams that your cousin will have to take depends on the state. She'll need to take the FPGEE, FPGEC, TOEFL, Naplex, MPJE, and any other exams required. Some states don't require the MPJE. Also, I think all states require a completion of internship or externship hours (about 1500) before being licensed or taking the Naplex. So she might have to apply for an intern license as well. Check with other sources, I might be wrong. Hope this helps :luck:

virilep said:
Getting licensed in the US now is dependent on when she graduated in india.if its before 2003 then she has a good chance to get licensed with 16-20 months if all things go well.She would have to take FPGEE,TSE and toefl.After getting FPGEC certificate ,use this to become an intern and depending on which state she is practising as an intern she can apply for the naplex and MPJE to become a pharmacist.If she graduated after 2003 then she needs to do her pharmd and follow the same road that US grads do.
In all though it seems like a lot of tests need to be taken to get licensed here .Its still a very reachable goal.some people have done it even in 8 months net ...but u need a bit of luck for that.

Hi !

May sound dumb however can i take those test for the internship of Pharmacist in India and then go to the US?!?

friends..i just wanted to get one thing clear...for foreign grads who graduated after 2003..will hav to attend pharmacy school here for another5 yrs???? is it?? even after taking all those exams...