Indian Medical Schools

Started by husky10501
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

husky10501

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just had a discussion with one of my college friends who informed me that two of his cousins bribed their way into Indian Medical schools with "Generous Donations" aka big $$$ b/c they couldn't get into the ones over here in the US. I didnt even know people did that!!! They also plan on going back to the US to practice medicine. I know its possible, but it seems like so much work and money.
 
My family physician from my hometown is Indian. He did his schooling in India, moved here, and did his residency at a Columbia-affiliated hospital. Since the doc was born and brought up in India, he had to take the entrance exams to get in (which should be hard as heck given the number of applicants vs. number of seats, maybe tougher than over here)... Also, the teaching style in India should be very different. The cultural differences are reflected in the education system. I've heard many of my friends talk about how you can't "interrupt" class to ask a question, how it's very lecture-based, and more teacher-friendly than student-friendly. Of course, I'm not an expert.... I've heard this from a few friends, that's all. So I imagine that med school over there, and then transitioning back here is gonna be pretty tough.... even if someone's got the dough to get into what the call the "NRI" quota.
 
The Indian state run medical schools are impossible to get in. Imagine having to get 42 on the MCAT to be eligible. It's like that.

The private schools are easier as they care more about the money - pay enough and you're in. I grew up in India, and I can vouch for the fact that it is certainly more teacher friendly than student friendly (at least at the school level, which I have direct experience with). You generally don't ask many questions and everything is based on standardized test scores. Your 'grades' don't really matter. It also has a very strict cut off points: if you score above a 75 - you're eligible for a career in X, Y, Z. Above a 90, and you can do A, B , C, etc.

If you get 89.98, it's tough luck and try again in your next life.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My cousin lost a mechanical engineering spot by one out of four hundred points on a std. exam. I myself lost first place in the district during middle school by half a point out of thousand points...unfortunately, there were a FEW DOZEN other kids in the same position as me, which sucked bad...
 
Yup, thats not unique. My dad missed the cutoff for science by 1/2 point and had to go into commerce.

For medicine, you have to score in the high end of the 99th percentile. Having to score 42 on the MCAT is not an exaggeration. Your GPA wouldn't matter though.
 
I would strongly discourage a person who wishes to practice in the United States from going to India for medical school. Besides the fact that things are very different over there (grading is VERY subjective, lots of essays) and the vast majority of the "professors" are really just lecturers who don't have the a degree to teach at the graduate level. You would have a hell of a time trying to get back to the states as an FMG, and would likely struggle with the USMLE due to inadequate preparation.
 
The Indian state run medical schools are impossible to get in. Imagine having to get 42 on the MCAT to be eligible. It's like that.

The private schools are easier as they care more about the money - pay enough and you're in. I grew up in India, and I can vouch for the fact that it is certainly more teacher friendly than student friendly (at least at the school level, which I have direct experience with). You generally don't ask many questions and everything is based on standardized test scores. Your 'grades' don't really matter. It also has a very strict cut off points: if you score above a 75 - you're eligible for a career in X, Y, Z. Above a 90, and you can do A, B , C, etc.

If you get 89.98, it's tough luck and try again in your next life.

Agree without doubt.
I have taken 90 hrs of postbacc at US college. Its my exp. that prof. in US spoon-feed compared to indian prof.
We never had multiple choice after 10th grade. Only essay-type questions.