Indiana University Emergency Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

normalforce

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone out there a resident at Indiana University, or has anyone done a rotation there. Geographically, it is where I want to be. Any input on the program?

Normalforce

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by normalforce
Is anyone out there a resident at Indiana University, or has anyone done a rotation there. Geographically, it is where I want to be. Any input on the program?

Normalforce

I am in week 3 of 4 on an EM rotation there. The program looks terrific. High volume, high acuity, lots of EMS contact, areomed, and attendings who like to teach. The residents seem very happy, and the support folks at the hospitals are nice.

BUT -

if you intend on applying there, then it sucks, don't apply! (I don't want the competition! :))

Seriously, anything specific I can offer?

- H

The most important thing I wanted to know is if the residents were happy. Are there any DO's in the Program?

Thank you.

Normalforce

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by normalforce
The most important thing I wanted to know is if the residents were happy. Are there any DO's in the Program?

Thank you.

Normalforce

Don't know. Haven't really noticed one way or the other and the name tags there wouldn't help. I would assume that info would be on their website. But yes, the residents are quite happy...

- H

I've never been to the program, but my ex-girlfriend did a rotation there as a medical student. She liked the place a lot and ranked it high on her rank list.

For what it's worth...

A couple of the Kalamazoo faculty trained there. From all I've heard, it's a top notch program.

Originally posted by Sessamoid
I've never been to the program, but my ex-girlfriend did a rotation there as a medical student. She liked the place a lot and ranked it high on her rank list.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with this girl who saw Indiana pass out at 31 flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

:D :eek: ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Call it "post Cubs loss delirium".

- H

Originally posted by FoughtFyr
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with this girl who saw Indiana pass out at 31 flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

:D :eek: ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Call it "post Cubs loss delirium".

- H

That and your sig make you a movie quote bot! I love both those movies, btw. It took me a while to figure out what the title for the movie from your sig was all about. I just never really thought about it. :)

I was offered an interview at Indiaina, so if you're a DO you might as well apply and see what you get.

Word on the street is if you're from Indiana, you won't go there as they dont' like to "in breed" their own... so most of you are in luck.

Also, Indiana is supposedly one of the better EM programs around... one of my colleagues went there for medical school and was impressed with the program.

Q, DO

I rotated there, did 4 weeks. Overall it was a great rotation. LIke fyr said, faculty willing to teach. The PD was a nice guy etc.
From what I have been told they have a strong rep. Lots of EMS/Aeromed and tox if you want it. The residents seemed happy.

There are 2 hospitals, Methodist and Wishard. The "wiz" is your typical underfunded urban center with all the wonderful trappings that go with it. Methodist is more like the Hilton.

Hope it helps-

As a third-year resident at Indiana, I'm obviously biased, but I cannot imagine a better training program anywhere in the country. We rotate through two level I trauma centers that each see over 100,000 patients/year, our faculty are outstanding, off-service rotations generally high-yield with lots of autonomy/procedures, our flight program is unmatched, and most importantly, our residents are very happy and able to balance work with outside interests. Living in Indy is a pleasant suprise. I ranked this program soley on the strength of the training, but have come to find that Indy is a great city to live in. Check out our website, and feel free to email me with any questions

Steve Caldwell
R-3
IU Dept of EM

Dr. Caldwell,

Thank you for your reply. I will be sending you an email to discuss the program further.

Normalforce

if anyone is reading the board at this time and interested in indy, watch Nightline right now. wishard ED is being profiled