Indiana University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
But they are on probation as of 5/18/2007, stemming from a site review in April 2006, according to a letter sent by the PD.

"Substantial" changes have been made in the past six months, and IU has requested an early re-evaluation to occur in 2/2008.

Having recently switched over to ENT, I have heard through the grapevine that the probation issue may or may not be resolved in the near future.

Although IU is a good enough program (anyone I am sure just wants to match), this is still concerning and would instead plan on purusing other offers. I would not want these sorts of issues looming over my head during my training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having recently switched over to ENT, I have heard through the grapevine that the probation issue may or may not be resolved in the near future.

Although IU is a good enough program (anyone I am sure just wants to match), this is still concerning and would instead plan on purusing other offers. I would not want these sorts of issues looming over my head during my training.
FutureEye. I'm not sure what you heard throught the "grapevine" but IU's probation issues have been resolved. The program was removed from probation during my 2nd year of training. All of the issues we were placed on probation for were addressed and corrected. In fact being placed on probation was the best thing that could have happened to the program. It finally forced the faculty to listen to the residents complaints and correct some of the programs greatest flaws.
The biggest violation we were flagged for was the fact that most of the resident clinics at our VA and county hospital had no faculty present probably greater than 50 % of the time. Now because of the probation issue all clinics must have faculty there 100% of the time and so far the faculty have followed through with this.

I can assure everyone that there will be no probation issue "hanging over their head" if they match here. I can also say that I've been happy with the training I've received here feel well prepared to go out on my own.

So FutureEye please don't make posts like this based on things you may have heard or rumors you have come across. And especially don't write things like "I would instead plan on pursuing other offers." It would be a shame if an applicant cancelled their inteview here based on a post like this.

one of the first year residents here at IU. So far really have enjoyed my experience here. if anyone have questions about IU ophthalmology residency, just pm and I will try to answer them. good luck on the upcoming application process.

I completed my residency at IU and am now in private practice. It is an outstanding program. Esp. if you want to be a general ophthalmologist. I did as many PRPs, FocalGrids, Intravitreal injections as I wanted. cataract #s were about 120, with lots of different faculty so you learn a variety of techniques. I did several PKPs, plenty of Glaucoma procedures (trabs, SLTs, PIs, Iridoplasty etc) Peds is fantastic, retina was good while I was there--although not much in the way of surgical experience (at all--but lots of medical retina). The plastics is fantastic. I would definitely consider this program if you want to do general, peds, glc, cornea (not much LASIK exposure though), or plastics. I do lots of blephs, ptosis, ectropions and feel VERY comfortable with them. the call schedule is AWESOME. 1/7--you're busy and up alot, but you see some crazy stuff. 3rd years take 2 mos back up at a time and mainly only come in to operate. The probation issue is a non-issue now, it's been addressed and I agree w/ bucknut about the staffing issue. anyone would be lucky to match at IU.

one of the first year residents here at IU. So far really have enjoyed my experience here. if anyone have questions about IU ophthalmology residency, just pm and I will try to answer them. good luck on the upcoming application process.

Hello taehong81, I will be interviewing with IU soon. How is the cameraderie among the residents, and how friendly are the faculty? My fiance is also trying to match at IU in their Med/Peds department. Do you know anything about that department. We are very excited about IU, but admittedly our biggest concern is trying to ensure we match together (Since med/peds is not early match, it is up to us to coordinate this). Any advice? Do you think this would be realistic at IU? Thanks!

P.S.-Sorry for the barrage of question

Anyone have any updated insight on this program? Strengths and weaknesses?

Anyone have any updated insight on this program? Strengths and weaknesses?

I rotated through this department as an MS4 during summer 2016 and was planning on writing a review eventually, but BE205's post prompted me to action early.

This is still a six resident program where the residents rotate through several locations including Eskenazi Hospital (County hospital), a VA, Riley Children's Hospital, the Eugene and Marilyn Glick Eye institute, and with a private group called Midwest Eye Institute (MEI) about 30 mins away from the main campus in Carmel, IN which was recently bought out by Indiana University anyway. MEI has had a very long association with IU with many faculty members holding joint appointments at both lcoations. A key facet of MEI is that all members should have academic pursuits and be actively researching and publishing, so there is a great deal of exciting work there. All of the hospitals except Midwest eye are on the same (albeit somewhat expansive) campus and parking is provided. When you look at the "faculty" listing on the Indiana website, you'll find the traditional strengths of the program with glaucoma and pediatrics to be very well represented, but may be surprised to see that plastics, retina, and cornea might not seem as strong. In reality, many faculty members who represent these specialties choose have their primary practice at MEI, and can be found under "affiliated faculty." Residents seemed to indicate that faculty in all specialties were well connected enough to facilitate excellent matches in any specialty should a resident desire this. Over the past few years, the residents indicated that the vast majority of their graduating classmates had gone into comprehensive practice with 2/6 going into fellowship in the class of 2016 (1 retina at a Chicago program, and I can't remember the other...), and 1/6 applying for fellowship (retina) in 2017. Peds, glaucoma, and ASOPRS plastics fellowships in house, but it doesn't seem like the residents have made use of them recently.

There will be some changes in the future for the program. Dr. Cantor, the chair and current secretary of education with the American Academy of Ophthalmology, will be stepping down at some point in the next year or two and the search process for a new chair is currently beginning. Some of the residents indicated that they believed Dr. WuDunn, the current program director, was likely to step into the role of chair as past program directors of the program tended to move into the chair position meaning a new PD would be necessitated as well. This is only speculation though. While reading about Dr. Cantor online over the summer, I did come across this article: http://www.ibj.com/articles/53114-tensions-spawn-exodus-of-iu-ophthalmologists. If there was tension in the department, I was unaware of it during my time rotating with this group and the residents did not seem to be lacking in their exposure to any sub-specialty. As far as I could tell as a student, the situation was under control. Dr. Cantor indicated to me that there are plans to continue to expand the basic science research end of things at this program over the next few years with the addition of even more laboratory space at the Glick Eye Institute. Glaucoma service seemed especially strong with several MD/PhDs on board, and I believe there will be several clinical trials starting at IU through them as well.

As a whole residents were a fairly happy bunch and seemed happy with their interactions with attending physicians. There were a few odd and occasionally tough physician personalities here and there, but no one stood out as particularly malignant as I rotated through VA, Glick, MEI, Eskenazi, and Riley. Non call work days usually started around 8am unless there was morning lecture (maybe 2x per week at 7 or 730), and usually wrapped up around 430 regardless of the site, although there were a few later days (530 being the latest I think) mixed in. Residents seemed to have at least 30 minutes to grab lunch regardless of rotation, and there were more than a few days at some of the clinical sites where the entire group had time to go out for a sit-down lunch in between morning and afternoon sessions, something I didn't see at any of my other rotations. Personally, I thought clinic flow was a little less at the VA, Glick, and Eskenazi than some of the other places I rotated. With six residents at Eskenazi and the VA, they tended to see about 45-55 patients in a day. All patients were signed out to attendings. Fellows tended to rotate and private offices so there was minimal competition for cases. I don't really have a sense of surgical numbers, but all of the third years who were getting ready to go into comprehensive practice voiced that they seemed ready to do so. There were normally three-four didactic sessions a week including grand rounds. For rotations, residents rotated through block 2 month blocks of each of the sub-specialties including comprehensive. One slight downside someone else might be able to comment on is that I don't think there was a plastics rotation until the second year of the program, although I could be wrong. Call schedule was great with first years about 1/7 covering weekends and holidays. Second years were responsible for 20 call days throughout their second year with no weekends or holidays. Third years take backup surgical call. All call was home call though, and residents did say that they were typically quite busy over night. Still, nobody seemed that bothered by it. Board pass rate per doximity is 79%. Not sure how recent grads have fared.

Several of the residents I encountered at this program had, or were recently starting families with several having multiple children. One of the first year residents was able to coach his kid's soccer team in the evenings so it did seem like there was a decent work/life balance here. Unmarried residents seemed to have time for weekend travel/enjoying what Indianapolis had to offer as well. Many of those not married were in relationships.

The program also does have a history of accepting IMGs, although typically with some stipulations. One recent IMG had a family member who was an ophthalmologist in Indiana who I believe advocated for that person. Several other IMGs completed residency in their home countries FIRST followed by research/fellowship in America, then a residency at IU. There is presently a resident there who took that path, and I've met several other faculty members at other institutions who took this path through IU as well. Another IMG completed a residency in IM first, and is now part of their residency program. Overall, it doesn't seem like you can just graduate from a foreign medical school and get in, but if you are dedicated it is possible to match at IU.

As an away rotation: You spend one week rotating at Eskenazi, the VA, glaucoma service (multiple locations) and Peds at Riley Eye hospital. You will be required to give a 10 minute (no more) grand rounds presentation which is very well attended. There is also an untimed final examination which consists of multiple choice questions, 10 cases with associated questions, and practice fundoscopy. It is hand written, and takes quite a while (about 3-4 hours). Resources are made available to you to help you study for this (several books and a website devised by faculty), but ultimately I found they didn't entirely cover all aspects I needed to be responsible for for the examination.

Obtaining a letter of recommendation from this rotation seems like it would be challenging. You do not work much with attending physicians, and given you are only spending a week at each site, you don't have much of an opportunity to develop a relationship with faculty. If your scores are outstanding, maybe Dr. Yung who oversees medical student education and away rotations could be helpful in this regard but I'm not sure who else. This is a rotation where you shadow almost entirely. Often, there are not enough lanes for you to see your own patients, and residents often don't know you well enough to trust you to see your own or do your own notes. I offered to take call with several residents, and discussed the matter with Dr. Yung; all of whom told me I should only do it if I wanted to see trauma. Call was not required of medical students, and nobody seemed to think it would change the faculty's impression of your work. I was told my time was better spent studying. Ultimately, I felt I could never really make an impression on anyone while I was here, but that was just my experience. While I honored the rotation, I was not invited to interview.

Final Thoughts: This seemed like a solid, amicable, well rounded program with good clinical, research, and surgical experience. I would have been happy to match here. Best of luck to those interviewing this week!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I rotated through this department as an MS4 during summer 2016 and was planning on writing a review eventually, but BE205's post prompted me to action early.

This is still a six resident program where the residents rotate through several locations including Eskenazi Hospital (County hospital), a VA, Riley Children's Hospital, the Eugene and Marilyn Glick Eye institute, and with a private group called Midwest Eye Institute (MEI) about 30 mins away from the main campus in Carmel, IN which was recently bought out by Indiana University anyway. MEI has had a very long association with IU with many faculty members holding joint appointments at both lcoations. A key facet of MEI is that all members should have academic pursuits and be actively researching and publishing, so there is a great deal of exciting work there. All of the hospitals except Midwest eye are on the same (albeit somewhat expansive) campus and parking is provided. When you look at the "faculty" listing on the Indiana website, you'll find the traditional strengths of the program with glaucoma and pediatrics to be very well represented, but may be surprised to see that plastics, retina, and cornea might not seem as strong. In reality, many faculty members who represent these specialties choose have their primary practice at MEI, and can be found under "affiliated faculty." Residents seemed to indicate that faculty in all specialties were well connected enough to facilitate excellent matches in any specialty should a resident desire this. Over the past few years, the residents indicated that the vast majority of their graduating classmates had gone into comprehensive practice with 2/6 going into fellowship in the class of 2016 (1 retina at a Chicago program, and I can't remember the other...), and 1/6 applying for fellowship (retina) in 2017. Peds, glaucoma, and ASOPRS plastics fellowships in house, but it doesn't seem like the residents have made use of them recently.

There will be some changes in the future for the program. Dr. Cantor, the chair and current secretary of education with the American Academy of Ophthalmology, will be stepping down at some point in the next year or two and the search process for a new chair is currently beginning. Some of the residents indicated that they believed Dr. WuDunn, the current program director, was likely to step into the role of chair as past program directors of the program tended to move into the chair position meaning a new PD would be necessitated as well. This is only speculation though. While reading about Dr. Cantor online over the summer, I did come across this article: http://www.ibj.com/articles/53114-tensions-spawn-exodus-of-iu-ophthalmologists. If there was tension in the department, I was unaware of it during my time rotating with this group and the residents did not seem to be lacking in their exposure to any sub-specialty. As far as I could tell as a student, the situation was under control. Dr. Cantor indicated to me that there are plans to continue to expand the basic science research end of things at this program over the next few years with the addition of even more laboratory space at the Glick Eye Institute. Glaucoma service seemed especially strong with several MD/PhDs on board, and I believe there will be several clinical trials starting at IU through them as well.

As a whole residents were a fairly happy bunch and seemed happy with their interactions with attending physicians. There were a few odd and occasionally tough physician personalities here and there, but no one stood out as particularly malignant as I rotated through VA, Glick, MEI, Eskenazi, and Riley. Non call work days usually started around 8am unless there was morning lecture (maybe 2x per week at 7 or 730), and usually wrapped up around 430 regardless of the site, although there were a few later days (530 being the latest I think) mixed in. Residents seemed to have at least 30 minutes to grab lunch regardless of rotation, and there were more than a few days at some of the clinical sites where the entire group had time to go out for a sit-down lunch in between morning and afternoon sessions, something I didn't see at any of my other rotations. Personally, I thought clinic flow was a little less at the VA, Glick, and Eskenazi than some of the other places I rotated. With six residents at Eskenazi and the VA, they tended to see about 45-55 patients in a day. All patients were signed out to attendings. Fellows tended to rotate and private offices so there was minimal competition for cases. I don't really have a sense of surgical numbers, but all of the third years who were getting ready to go into comprehensive practice voiced that they seemed ready to do so. There were normally three-four didactic sessions a week including grand rounds. For rotations, residents rotated through block 2 month blocks of each of the sub-specialties including comprehensive. One slight downside someone else might be able to comment on is that I don't think there was a plastics rotation until the second year of the program, although I could be wrong. Call schedule was great with first years about 1/7 covering weekends and holidays. Second years were responsible for 20 call days throughout their second year with no weekends or holidays. Third years take backup surgical call. All call was home call though, and residents did say that they were typically quite busy over night. Still, nobody seemed that bothered by it. Board pass rate per doximity is 79%. Not sure how recent grads have fared.

Several of the residents I encountered at this program had, or were recently starting families with several having multiple children. One of the first year residents was able to coach his kid's soccer team in the evenings so it did seem like there was a decent work/life balance here. Unmarried residents seemed to have time for weekend travel/enjoying what Indianapolis had to offer as well. Many of those not married were in relationships.

The program also does have a history of accepting IMGs, although typically with some stipulations. One recent IMG had a family member who was an ophthalmologist in Indiana who I believe advocated for that person. Several other IMGs completed residency in their home countries FIRST followed by research/fellowship in America, then a residency at IU. There is presently a resident there who took that path, and I've met several other faculty members at other institutions who took this path through IU as well. Another IMG completed a residency in IM first, and is now part of their residency program. Overall, it doesn't seem like you can just graduate from a foreign medical school and get in, but if you are dedicated it is possible to match at IU.

As an away rotation: You spend one week rotating at Eskenazi, the VA, glaucoma service (multiple locations) and Peds at Riley Eye hospital. You will be required to give a 10 minute (no more) grand rounds presentation which is very well attended. There is also an untimed final examination which consists of multiple choice questions, 10 cases with associated questions, and practice fundoscopy. It is hand written, and takes quite a while (about 3-4 hours). Resources are made available to you to help you study for this (several books and a website devised by faculty), but ultimately I found they didn't entirely cover all aspects I needed to be responsible for for the examination.

Obtaining a letter of recommendation from this rotation seems like it would be challenging. You do not work much with attending physicians, and given you are only spending a week at each site, you don't have much of an opportunity to develop a relationship with faculty. If your scores are outstanding, maybe Dr. Yung who oversees medical student education and away rotations could be helpful in this regard but I'm not sure who else. This is a rotation where you shadow almost entirely. Often, there are not enough lanes for you to see your own patients, and residents often don't know you well enough to trust you to see your own or do your own notes. I offered to take call with several residents, and discussed the matter with Dr. Yung; all of whom told me I should only do it if I wanted to see trauma. Call was not required of medical students, and nobody seemed to think it would change the faculty's impression of your work. I was told my time was better spent studying. Ultimately, I felt I could never really make an impression on anyone while I was here, but that was just my experience. While I honored the rotation, I was not invited to interview.

Final Thoughts: This seemed like a solid, amicable, well rounded program with good clinical, research, and surgical experience. I would have been happy to match here. Best of luck to those interviewing this week!!!!

Thank you so much for this very thorough overview of the program!! I really appreciate it!

Thanks for your post, alta. Very thorough and I’m glad you had an overall good impression of our program! I’m one of the residents at IU and just wanted to clarify a few things as I know these program-specific posts hang around forever and can have a big influence on how applicants perceive different places…I remember applying and looking for any little tidbit that would me decide how to order my ranklist.

While the clinical strengths of the program are definitely glaucoma, peds, and oculoplastics (and neuro-op for whatever that is worth), we actually get a pretty good retina experience as well. Without retina fellows, you’ll do primary PPVs and buckles here, plus injections and laser ad infinitum. Oculoplastics rotation is 2nd year, but you’ll see and repair plenty of oculoplastics trauma first year. Cornea has been a weaker point but is improving with new faculty added at Glick. MEI has not been bought out by IUH, but remains an amicable educational partner and helps provide great adjunctive clinical experiences.

Lately we have been trending towards residents going into comp, but average about a 50/50 split more long term. Even so, anyone that has wanted a fellowship has had no issues matching…last few years we’ve had people do retina (Wash U x2, UCLA, etc), cornea (Wake), peds (Duke x2). Not sure about the board pass rates on Doximity, hasn’t been an issue recently as far as I know. The last grad I talked to said he smoked the boards as compared to OKAPs because he finally had time to study.

If you are thinking about IU, you have probably read the IBJ article referenced above. It’s a bit of overkill stimulated by a disgruntled former IU doc. Basically, the dept of ophthalmology was getting absorbed by the monolithic IU Health group in 2014, just like literally every other specialty on campus. There was some faculty turmoil during the process…some understandable, some not so much. In the end, resident education was not affected to any significant extent—in some respects it was improved-- and that phase is well behind us.

Cantor is indeed officially stepping down as chair in the next year or two, and the search process is just starting for that. The department is actively bringing in new faculty and continues to grow without any significant tensions I am aware of.

Call and clinic can be quite busy, but tends to be concentrated, so you do have time for family/friends/etc. Traditionally, residents have a fair amount of autonomy here, which may be why so many graduates feel comfortable going straight into comp. Phaco numbers aren’t horrible but could be better (~120). However, they are good quality cases with regards to complexity and you are true primary surgeon; also Dr. Catoira has recently stepped in as Chief at the VA and is intent on ratcheting up volume there.

Hope that helps fill in some balnks, particularly for any of you that just interviewed. Feel free to PM me anytime with questions you may have.

Not that it's super duper important, but this year's IU PGY3 career tracks and fellowship match for those interested or wondering:

4 comprehensive
1 glaucoma at IU
1 surgical retina at Bascom
--------------------------------
6 cool eye docs

Last edited: