Internal Medicine to Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

visionmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am posting here to get some input regarding going into an ophthalmology residency after several years of Internal Medicine. I am an IMG and was unable to get into Ophthalmology so applied and got into internal medicine. After graduating from internal medicine I had to work 4 years in a medically underserved area as a requirement of my visa. So I have been working as a hospitalist over the past 4 years. As soon as I was able to get my immigration complete, I joined a retina research fellowship last year. I will have several publication out of the fellowship by the end of this year. I know there is a funding issue with medicare in which a second residency may not be sponsored but I had several friends who did a second residency. My question is that what can help me get into an ophthalmology residency. What will be my chances? I just feel down as I have been told that my chances are very low because of an internal medicine residency and out of school for a while. Is this an insurmountable obstacle? I am willing to fund myself but I dont know how this can be told to the programs during the application process? Should I continue the research fellowship? Should I rather do some electives in several programs so they know me personally and I may get an interview. Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

In general, the super competetive fields don't consider IMGs of those lacking GME funding because they just don't have to. I'm sure someone has an anecdote about someone they know but as a general rule this is the case. Having tried to switch fields myself, I can tell you that programs do take funding into serious consideration. It came up with more than one person when I met with program leadership.

I'm not sure if you can even do an elective as you're not a med student or a resident and unless I'm mistaken, as per ACMGE rules, residents are not allowed to fund themselves. If they were, they would essentially be buying their residency/career and undermining the entire application process. I know people have brought this issue up with Derm more than once on SDN.

As for the research fellowship, that's a tough call. You're best chance at getting a spot is probably at the institute you're conducting research but it certainly is no gaurantee. You have to weigh your options but keep in mind that you may or may have not hit a point of dimishing returns as every year there is a supply of qualified US seniors with full funding competiting for the positions you want.

You're already aware your changes are slim to none, but they're zero if you don't apply. Sounds corny but you really have nothing to lose. You've already done a residency so if you don't get a spot you just go back to being a hospitalist or pursuing a fellowship. Not the end of the world.