Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Indiana vs. Creighton

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Hoosier Daddy, Dec 17, 2005.

?

A Better Choice of Dental School: IU or Creighton

1. Indiana

51.6%
  2. Creighton

48.4%
  1. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I could really use some friendly advice from all of you out there. I was accepted to both IU and Creighton. I am an Indiana resident and realize that Indiana would be a much more financially sound choice. In addition to reduced debt, I would also be much closer to home (Fort Wayne, IN). However, I have visited IUSD and was not at all impressed with their archaic facilities. Also, I have not been completely impressed with the professionalism of the staff that works at IUSD.
    Creighton, on the other hand, would cost about twice as much and is about 8 or more hours away. I have never been to Omaha, Nebraska to see the school. However, I plan on going to visit in the spring. Creighton is a Jesuit University just like Xavier (where I have my B.S. of Biology). I have heard many good things about the early clinical experience students recieve. Creighton also begins late in the summer; whereas, IU begins July 5. My best friend also is at Creighton attending the Med. School. Please give me your thoughts. It never hurts to hear someone else's perspective.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dentalguy

dentalguy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

You know I just talked with my dentist last night about a related subject.....state vs private institution......to be honest 100g is not htat big of deal.....he told me that over 10-15 years that a broker would make it very possible for either private tuition or instate tuition.....I know this may not be that big of a help but go where you feel is most comfortable.....separate youself fromt the cost aspect and go there.....thats what I have been told although I know cost is an issue

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate it. If you don't mind me asking, what do you like best about Creighton?

5. dentalguy

dentalguy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The clinic the clinic the clinic.......early exposure to patients....and their reputation for doing well on the clinical boards.....its nice at Creighton because their are no graduate programs .....so if a GTR or crown lengthening or wisdom teeth come in.....you get to do it.....thats what I like about it

6. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    either school will prepare you and get you the DDS. go with whatever that suits you best my friend. personally, i would have picked iusd simply due to the fact that you are from IN and the savings would be significant.

7. IWuvTeef

IWuvTeef Dentist
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    agreed. and i have no problem getting my projects completed with our current equipment/facilities... it may not be 5 star, but you get your work done. :p

8. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    I can't even begin to count how many times I sat in lab last year, working on a fixed pros project, thinking "Man, if only I had fake rubber cheeks obstructing my access, and a water hose spraying pretend saliva to impair my visibility, this would be perfect."

9. beredsox2

beredsox2 The Anti Anti-Dentite
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Good 'ole internet sarcasm. Gotta love it. :laugh: