Indiana vs. Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A Better Choice of Dental School: IU or Creighton

• Total voters

Hoosier Daddy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could really use some friendly advice from all of you out there. I was accepted to both IU and Creighton. I am an Indiana resident and realize that Indiana would be a much more financially sound choice. In addition to reduced debt, I would also be much closer to home (Fort Wayne, IN). However, I have visited IUSD and was not at all impressed with their archaic facilities. Also, I have not been completely impressed with the professionalism of the staff that works at IUSD.
Creighton, on the other hand, would cost about twice as much and is about 8 or more hours away. I have never been to Omaha, Nebraska to see the school. However, I plan on going to visit in the spring. Creighton is a Jesuit University just like Xavier (where I have my B.S. of Biology). I have heard many good things about the early clinical experience students recieve. Creighton also begins late in the summer; whereas, IU begins July 5. My best friend also is at Creighton attending the Med. School. Please give me your thoughts. It never hurts to hear someone else's perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Hoosier Daddy said:
I could really use some friendly advice from all of you out there. I was accepted to both IU and Creighton. I am an Indiana resident and realize that Indiana would be a much more financially sound choice. In addition to reduced debt, I would also be much closer to home (Fort Wayne, IN). However, I have visited IUSD and was not at all impressed with their archaic facilities. Also, I have not been completely impressed with the professionalism of the staff that works at IUSD.
Creighton, on the other hand, would cost about twice as much and is about 8 or more hours away. I have never been to Omaha, Nebraska to see the school. However, I plan on going to visit in the spring. Creighton is a Jesuit University just like Xavier (where I have my B.S. of Biology). I have heard many good things about the early clinical experience students recieve. Creighton also begins late in the summer; whereas, IU begins July 5. My best friend also is at Creighton attending the Med. School. Please give me your thoughts. It never hurts to hear someone else's perspective.

You know I just talked with my dentist last night about a related subject.....state vs private institution......to be honest 100g is not htat big of deal.....he told me that over 10-15 years that a broker would make it very possible for either private tuition or instate tuition.....I know this may not be that big of a help but go where you feel is most comfortable.....separate youself fromt the cost aspect and go there.....thats what I have been told although I know cost is an issue

Thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate it. If you don't mind me asking, what do you like best about Creighton?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoosier Daddy said:
Thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate it. If you don't mind me asking, what do you like best about Creighton?

The clinic the clinic the clinic.......early exposure to patients....and their reputation for doing well on the clinical boards.....its nice at Creighton because their are no graduate programs .....so if a GTR or crown lengthening or wisdom teeth come in.....you get to do it.....thats what I like about it

either school will prepare you and get you the DDS. go with whatever that suits you best my friend. personally, i would have picked iusd simply due to the fact that you are from IN and the savings would be significant.

PERFECT3435 said:
either school will prepare you and get you the DDS. go with whatever that suits you best my friend. personally, i would have picked iusd simply due to the fact that you are from IN and the savings would be significant.

agreed. and i have no problem getting my projects completed with our current equipment/facilities... it may not be 5 star, but you get your work done. :p

IWuvTeef said:
agreed. and i have no problem getting my projects completed with our current equipment/facilities... it may not be 5 star, but you get your work done. :p
I can't even begin to count how many times I sat in lab last year, working on a fixed pros project, thinking "Man, if only I had fake rubber cheeks obstructing my access, and a water hose spraying pretend saliva to impair my visibility, this would be perfect."

aphistis said:
I can't even begin to count how many times I sat in lab last year, working on a fixed pros project, thinking "Man, if only I had fake rubber cheeks obstructing my access, and a water hose spraying pretend saliva to impair my visibility, this would be perfect."

Good 'ole internet sarcasm. Gotta love it. :laugh: