Indicate weather these salts are acidic, basic or neutral.....

Started by rak173
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rak173

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) NaCl 2) NH4Cl 3) CH3COONa 4) KF 5) NaHCO3


I know the answers but can someone explain how would you find out? I know acids are proton donors and bases are proton acceptors but how would you know if a salt is acidic, basic or neutral? Does it has to do with solubility? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
 
Imagine each salt being dissolved in water and dissociating into their respective ions. What will each ion form? A strong/weak acid and/or a strong/weak base?

NaCl dissociates to form NaOH and HCl. Is NaOH a strong or weak base? HCl - strong or weak acid?

If both are strong, the salt is neutral. If the resulting acid is strong but the base is weak, it will be acidic and vice versa.

Does that make sense? I hope I'm correct because that's how I always thought of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
 
Imagine each salt being dissolved in water and dissociating into their respective ions. What will each ion form? A strong/weak acid and/or a strong/weak base?

NaCl dissociates to form NaOH and HCl. Is NaOH a strong or weak base? HCl - strong or weak acid?

If both are strong, the salt is neutral. If the resulting acid is strong but the base is weak, it will be acidic and vice versa.

Does that make sense? I hope I'm correct because that's how I always thought of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you so much. It does make sense now.