Indicating relatives on AADSAS Application?? Do or Dont?

Started by omutk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mention this relative on application?

  • Yes

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • No

    Votes: 8 47.1%

  • Total voters
    17

omutk

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, on AADSAS it says to indicate if you have any relatives who are in the dental field or are currently in dental school. Was just wanting to know the purpose of it and if it actually plays a role in your acceptance. I have a distant second cousin in dental school, I wasn't going to put them down because we barely see one another if it weren't for big family gatherings/reunions such as weddings, funerals, etc. Is it worth mentioning?
 
Hi, similar boat. If I put that my cousins graduated from X, would other schools frown upon it? Or should I wait and mention it on the 2nd application for that specific school X?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you aren't in contact with the family member/close, don't put it.

Do you know whats the reasoning of them asking of you have a relative in dental school anyways? Will having a relative in a certain dental raise/lower your chance of getting in to that specific school?
 
Do you know whats the reasoning of them asking of you have a relative in dental school anyways? Will having a relative in a certain dental raise/lower your chance of getting in to that specific school?
In most cases, no, but it can play a role if the faculty know your family member. It's more about you having a potential place to work after graduation (if your family member(s) still practice), insight some other predents may not have, further work experience etc. Having family members involved in dentistry should mean you know what you're getting yourself into.
 
In most cases, no, but it can play a role if the faculty know your family member. It's more about you having a potential place to work after graduation (if your family member(s) still practice), insight some other predents may not have, further work experience etc. Having family members involved in dentistry should mean you know what you're getting yourself into.

Let say, if your family members graduated and attending USC and you're applying for UCLA, would UCLA raise their eyebrows upon seeing it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's true! How do you think I would have to work around that disadvantage? Does that mean my application has to be significantly better than others applying to prove I actually want to be a dentist and I'm not being forced? Because I truly do love dentistry.
 
That's true! How do you think I would have to work around that disadvantage? Does that mean my application has to be significantly better than others applying to prove I actually want to be a dentist and I'm not being forced? Because I truly do love dentistry.
No, not at all. Just be honest during any interviews. Your interviewers will definitely ask "So your mother/father is a dentist.....have they pressured you at all?" If you're honest and sincere there's nothing at all to worry about.
 
That's true! How do you think I would have to work around that disadvantage? Does that mean my application has to be significantly better than others applying to prove I actually want to be a dentist and I'm not being forced? Because I truly do love dentistry.
My brother is a dentist and I explained how I shadowed different healthcare professions and worked in other fields.