Indirect Vision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldenDomer11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any protips for helping my brain figure this out?

We started working exclusively on maxillary teeth in operative this semester. We are doing Class II's on #14 right now and I am struggling to work while the mirror is in the mouth - I feel like I'm blocking it with the hand-piece or I don't have enough space. I've been told to rotate the mirror around the tooth to see different angles. I keep trying to look in with direct vision and then at the end of class my back is really feeling it. Can't imagine doing this for the next 30 years without a serious spine condition..

Members don't see this ad.

Sooner you get use to indirect vision + mirror placement, the better off you'll be. Just keep practicing. I had classmates during second year still to use direct vision. Don't be like them.

Rotate the mirror around, but be conscious of your hand-piece and make sure its not tilted because of your side view. Its really just one of those things that clicks after a while.

I actually did a pretty large MO restoration on 14 recently with my new loupes(2.5 ->4.5). Found it a lot easier compared to my previous restos, and quicker too despite the size. But lets worry about positioning first before mag. Watch some youtube videos.

Reactions: 1 user
It's something that just gets easier with time. It feels foreign and awkward at first but the more practice you put into it, the more it will click.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really takes practice. It becomes more natural after a while.

Vertical & Horizontal. Turn the head (tooth) so that the Mesial/Distal direction is vertical to the plane of the room. In the mirror up is still up and down is still down. Also, toward you and away from you (horizontal) are the same.

Reactions: 1 users
Big trick I learned was to hold the mirror away from the tooth - you can even hold it outside of the mouth. I was trying to hold it right next to the tooth to see what I was drilling. Then it's just getting your muscles/eyes to learn what direction to move in the mirror - it'll come with practice.

Reactions: 3 users
For mirror control, I just make sure I recognize all surfaces of the tooth/prep. Then I tell myself to move the bur towards that surface. For example, if I need to move toward the mesial wall of the box. I just think to myself to move mesial. It comes with practice but once you get it, you will be able to do it without thinking. It also helps to articulate your plan before you start, and during procedure so that you don't lose orientation. Good luck!

Any protips for helping my brain figure this out?

We started working exclusively on maxillary teeth in operative this semester. We are doing Class II's on #14 right now and I am struggling to work while the mirror is in the mouth - I feel like I'm blocking it with the hand-piece or I don't have enough space. I've been told to rotate the mirror around the tooth to see different angles. I keep trying to look in with direct vision and then at the end of class my back is really feeling it. Can't imagine doing this for the next 30 years without a serious spine condition..

Just takes practice. I can bet that once you get used to it... indirect uppers are 1000000% easier then direct vision.

I find it impossible to see drilling wise 18/19 Mo do 30-31 Mo do sometimes and have to drill by feel and experience.

At least with upper indirect I can see everything.

So basically with time and experience I guarantee uppers are 100% easier the lowers ironic right?

20 year veteran here.

Buy yourself some cheap loupes AND a headlight- can get a pair of 3.5* on ebay for a couple of hundred dollars
At least now you will be IN focus, and WILL NEVER need to touch an overhead light again.

Then, its just practice, practice

Hold the mirror a bit further away. This is where the magnification and, in particular, the headlight come in. You will now be able to SEE what is going on

take a piece of paper and tape it to the underside of your desk, use your mirror to write your name, draw a picture, etc. on it...nothing will replace spending time in a chair churning out preps that resemble my emotional state of mind most days, but it's something...