Indistensible? a word? in my review book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this even a word? It is in my TBR book.

context:
Disucssing the contraction of the diaphragm:

"the watery fluid in the intrapleural space is rather indistensible and the pulling of the parietal pleura translates through the intrapleural fluid."

if so, can someone clearly explain what this is meaning?

Members don't see this ad.

This word did take some searching so... the word 'in' for indistensible means 'not' since the word distensible is an adj. for distend. Distend means 'To swell out or expand, especially from internal pressure. So taking those two together I would assume it would mean 'To not expand from internal pressure'.

Reactions: 1 user
This word did take some searching so... the word 'in' for indistensible means 'not' since the word distensible is an adj. for distend. Distend means 'To swell out or expand, especially from internal pressure. So taking those two together I would assume it would mean 'To not expand from internal pressure'.

thanks, that was what I was assuming, but it just seemed incorrect for this context. So the intrapleural fluid will not expand?

thanks, that was what I was assuming, but it just seemed incorrect for this context. So the intrapleural fluid will not expand?

As a disclaimer I never tookA&P I had to self teach for the MCAT. However, when talking about the diaphragm contracting it means the lungs are expanding and it would make sense the the intraplueral fluid does not expand from the interal pressure because too much pressure on the parietal pleura could cause the lung to collapse.