Individual Health Insurance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbevo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone currently enrolled in an individual (temporary) health insurance policy?

I am looking for a plan to bridge me to this Fall, when I will qualify for student health insurance through a med school. I already graduated, and I'm coming off my parents' plan in March.

I've found a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan for about $50-75/month depending on deductibles ranging from $1500-500. Is this a competitive rate?

Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

highly dependent on state of residence.

I had the blue cross ppo 1000 for a couple of years. It was really just hospital coverage (i.e. catastrophic). I forget the deductibles, but they were about that range (frickin' high). I'm 32 and my premium was $68/mo. So, it sounds reasonable. Their administration is a pain in the arse to deal with generally speaking, but they paid my visit to the ED w/out hassle after I got rear-ended by a truck, so I can't complain too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the help.

fortis.com

has a temporary (6 mo) catastrophic insurance plan. I used it twice. Never had a claim.

drbevo said:
Is anyone currently enrolled in an individual (temporary) health insurance policy?

I am looking for a plan to bridge me to this Fall, when I will qualify for student health insurance through a med school. I already graduated, and I'm coming off my parents' plan in March.

I've found a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan for about $50-75/month depending on deductibles ranging from $1500-500. Is this a competitive rate?

Any help is appreciated.

GradMed sponsors a number of short-term insurance plans for new graduates. Select your state of residence, and see if your undergraduate school is represented.

MeowMix said:
fortis.com

has a temporary (6 mo) catastrophic insurance plan. I used it twice. Never had a claim.

I second this...I have had Fortis throughout my two years in grad school, thankfully without any incidents. Not bad for a temporary policy.