Industrial Research?...something worth doing???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChinaDoll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals...it's me asking for advices again..:cool:

My previous institute Chemistry Professor came from a industrial background...When i was in that school, he liked me very much. So now He is in a affiliated research project with Duke Energy about renewable energy (solar, wind, biomass, nuclear etc)...He will do work for them in his own laboratory but materials and informations are provided by Duke Energy..(I dont know how he got to do this...sounds like moonlighting to me:p, but he gets very little pay..weird)

He called me today saying that he really needs a lab/research assistant and asked if I could help him out (no pay, voluntarily...) Since I transferred to a university in the same town and I am lacking some research experience..I thought why not..I could help him out...But this research project will absolutely have no chance of publication or reward...very industrial research project...
It's not medical related but chemistry-related...
So what do you think? Is this something you guys would do? Will an Industrial Research be less valuable to Med School than other research projects???...Or should I just save my time to do something else...???

Any advice will be greatly appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys and gals...it's me asking for advices again..:cool:

My previous institute Chemistry Professor came from a industrial background...When i was in that school, he liked me very much. So now He is in a affiliated research project with Duke Energy about renewable energy (solar, wind, biomass, nuclear etc)...He will do work for them in his own laboratory but materials and informations are provided by Duke Energy..(I dont know how he got to do this...sounds like moonlighting to me:p, but he gets very little pay..weird)

He called me today saying that he really needs a lab/research assistant and asked if I could help him out (no pay, voluntarily...) Since I transferred to a university in the same town and I am lacking some research experience..I thought why not..I could help him out...But this research project will absolutely have no chance of publication or reward...very industrial research project...
It's not medical related but chemistry-related...
So what do you think? Is this something you guys would do? Will an Industrial Research be less valuable to Med School than other research projects???...Or should I just save my time to do something else...???

Any advice will be greatly appreciated...

Do what is in your best interests. If you decline the offer, thank him for the opportunity and recommend him some students who would love to do research in that area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do what is in your best interests. If you decline the offer, thank him for the opportunity and recommend him some students who would love to do research in that area.
I know..but if I do it this will be my 1st research experience..I am willing to give it a try just to see if I like it...
I guess I am afraid a research project like this is being looked down upon by med school..
thanks for the advice tho..

any other opinions?

I know..but if I do it this will be my 1st research experience..I am willing to give it a try just to see if I like it...
I guess I am afraid a research project like this is being looked down upon by med school..
thanks for the advice tho..

any other opinions?

It seems more like a tangent or a distraction than something a medical school would consider to be a good use of your time.

Look, before you do something, you shouldn't be asking yourself "is med school gonna like this?"
You should be asking yourself "am I gonna like this?"

Let me tell you something: if you do anything...anything for self-enrichment, med schools won't look down upon you. Forget med schools, NO ONE will look down upon you.
I've read ridiculous questions asking if "publishing a research paper is going help with med school or if it is going to be looked down upon". So what you're telling me is that you won't publish your findings that may aid other scientists JUST BECAUSE A IT MAY NOT LOOK AS GOOD WITH MED SCHOOL?
Will med schools think positively about it? Will they see that you are unique from others? Who the hell knows? And for that matter, who the hell cares? Med schools are like girls, not one is the same in thought and from year to year, they might change what they consider "unique". But I will say this thing: It won't hurt to do any of that.

Whether it is research in a non-medical field or stand up comedy, just do it if you like it and if you see that it will enrich your experience throughout undergrad. Although it may not hold weight (which is rare), it won't ever hurt to have that on your resume. And between not having it and having it, the latter is better. And best of all, 15 years down the line when you're banging your head into the wall asking yourself why you chose this field after being woken up at 3 AM for a trauma patient, you will be able to look back at your college life and enjoy the fact that you did waht you wanted to.

(As for me, I'm doing non-medical related research in biophysics. Also, I sky-dive frequently. And guess what? I chose to do all that because I enjoy them...I didn't ask some med school if I should do it or not)

In your situation, you say you don't have research experience. Guess what? Not too many labs hire for pay or volunteer unless you've had some experience. It's a lot easier to get research positions after your first one because you're able to network with other scientists or even make yourself look appealing to other labs.

Now stop bringing up stupid questions like this.

Look, before you do something, you shouldn't be asking yourself "is med school gonna like this?"
You should be asking yourself "am I gonna like this?"

Let me tell you something: if you do anything...anything for self-enrichment, med schools won't look down upon you. Forget med schools, NO ONE will look down upon you.
I've read ridiculous questions asking if "publishing a research paper is going help with med school or if it is going to be looked down upon". So what you're telling me is that you won't publish your findings that may aid other scientists JUST BECAUSE A IT MAY NOT LOOK AS GOOD WITH MED SCHOOL?
Will med schools think positively about it? Will they see that you are unique from others? Who the hell knows? And for that matter, who the hell cares? Med schools are like girls, not one is the same in thought and from year to year, they might change what they consider "unique". But I will say this thing: It won't hurt to do any of that.

Whether it is research in a non-medical field or stand up comedy, just do it if you like it and if you see that it will enrich your experience throughout undergrad. Although it may not hold weight (which is rare), it won't ever hurt to have that on your resume. And between not having it and having it, the latter is better. And best of all, 15 years down the line when you're banging your head into the wall asking yourself why you chose this field after being woken up at 3 AM for a trauma patient, you will be able to look back at your college life and enjoy the fact that you did waht you wanted to.

(As for me, I'm doing non-medical related research in biophysics. Also, I sky-dive frequently. And guess what? I chose to do all that because I enjoy them...I didn't ask some med school if I should do it or not)

In your situation, you say you don't have research experience. Guess what? Not too many labs hire for pay or volunteer unless you've had some experience. It's a lot easier to get research positions after your first one because you're able to network with other scientists or even make yourself look appealing to other labs.

Now stop bringing up stupid questions like this.
thank you for your very INSIGHTFUL input

sorry you think this is a stupid questions..however, there are plenty people just like me who do things like research just to get into med school...Is it right? probably not..but is it worthed? of course..if doing a research project will make me competitive for med school, I would do anything, and I mean ANYTHING, to get that position..
Do not make it sound like that everything on your application are things you enjoy..I really doubt that and stop making it sound like you put in all those work so you can have fun..Well, some stupid people like me just arn't that lucky to have fun and get into medical school at the same time!
So next time you waste your time typing such a long post just to make others look like ****..maybe you could get a life outside of SDN..
Ass hole

Yes, everything on my resume is all that I enjoy, and I stand by it. Research, volunteering, etc. or else I wouldn't be doing any of it.
And for the record, before you got your panties in bunch, you should have read that post and seen that it wasn't all directed to you. Rather than going out and making personal attack, maybe you should have some respect for others who type such a long post that gives you some insight. If you reacted like that to my post, I wonder how much of a storm you would have created if half the other SDN members had commented on this.

I think some relevant research would look good for your application. :D

I've heard it said many times that research of any kind is valuable, regardless of field. It is more the thought process behind the scientific method that adcoms are looking for you to learn than the manual skills that you may learn in the lab. That being said, do not do research which does not interest you. Any research project is a time commitment, and PIs can tell when you're only doing something for medical school. If you don't think it would be an experience you would enjoy, do something else.

Yes, everything on my resume is all that I enjoy, and I stand by it. Research, volunteering, etc. or else I wouldn't be doing any of it.
And for the record, before you got your panties in bunch, you should have read that post and seen that it wasn't all directed to you. Rather than going out and making personal attack, maybe you should have some respect for others who type such a long post that gives you some insight. If you reacted like that to my post, I wonder how much of a storm you would have created if half the other SDN members had commented on this.

I think maybe you should check your own attitude before telling me to check mine...
that being said, I would happily accept any advices that are actually helpful to me in someway...and there is no way I am gonna take the BS from someone who thinks my question is stupid yet wasted his PRECIOUS time answering it

thank you for your very INSIGHTFUL input

sorry you think this is a stupid questions..however, there are plenty people just like me who do things like research just to get into med school...Is it right? probably not..but is it worthed? of course..if doing a research project will make me competitive for med school, I would do anything, and I mean ANYTHING, to get that position..
Do not make it sound like that everything on your application are things you enjoy..I really doubt that and stop making it sound like you put in all those work so you can have fun..Well, some stupid people like me just arn't that lucky to have fun and get into medical school at the same time!
So next time you waste your time typing such a long post just to make others look like ****..maybe you could get a life outside of SDN..
Ass hole

Very well said..LOL..my opinion :D

I would think research in any kind is a valuable thing...maybe this is a good start for you to gain some research time and experience so later you can get into other projects..