Infectious disease guys(or girls) - need input!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n618ft

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some input on the variables that affect lifestyle, schedule, pay (I do have to worry about 250k+ in loans soon), etc. Are you guys happy? I'm interested in working in FL (anywhere). What are some advantages and challenges you've faced in ID compared to your peers? If you were to do it again, would you try to match into a different residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Just FYI right now ID is having a hell of a time finding jobs or getting paid much to do them.

Can you be a little more specific? You think that now that HAART therapy is keeping all the HIV patients healthy, that the need for ID is going down the drain? ID docs victims of their own success?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you be a little more specific? You think that now that HAART therapy is keeping all the HIV patients healthy, that the need for ID is going down the drain? ID docs victims of their own success?

Market saturation combined with poor payment issues. The vast majority of HIV patients are managed by generalists, not ID. Most people who need outpatient ID are uninsured/Medicaid. And since ID isn't a particularly physically grueling specialty, people practice it forever.

It's kind of irrelevant what I think. All I can tell you is what the current fellows are talking about. YOU do what you want with that information.

Though I think based on this, if anyone was actually interested in ID and had school loans, I think I'd recommend they go hospitalist, kick it in the rear for a few years, and then go back to training. ID spots probably won't be hard to come by. And then know that you won't starve or anything but you are going to make the lower end of the pay spectrum.

Though . . . give it 20 years. As the bugs start winning more and more, ID could possibly reclaim some territory I think.

Reactions: 1 user
Do what you like. That's the most important thing.
Don't choose something because you think you will make XXX because times will change but your interest will not.
Money will come afterwards and it depends on the person.
I do know some ID doctors in academics who have become full professors and they make 200000-250000 a year, and some of them even have side business (out side of medicine).
Personally I think this is much better than having to wake up in the middle of the night going for emergencies even when I am 60, being miserable and making marginally more money which will be taxed anyways.

Last edited:
Is the job outlook different for private practice vs. academic?

There are more opportunities for private practice and it tends to pay better. The hours for private practice can be pretty bad depending on how many physicians are in your group. Some graduating fellows also go back to regular IM since the opportunities and pay tend to be better.

Do what you like. That's the most important thing.
Don't choose something because you think you will make XXX because times will change but your interest will not.
Money will come afterwards and it depends on the person.
I do know some ID doctors in academics who have become full professors and they make 200000-250000 a year, and some of them even have side business (out side of medicine).
Personally I think this is much better than having to wake up in the middle of the night going for emergencies even when I am 60, being miserable and making marginally more money which will be taxed anyways.

As long as you can find an ID job that you want. They are out there but generally you either choose the job that interests you or choose the location that interests you and do the best that you can. It's hard to obtain both the ideal job and location with ID.

There are more opportunities for private practice and it tends to pay better. The hours for private practice can be pretty bad depending on how many physicians are in your group. Some graduating fellows also go back to regular IM since the opportunities and pay tend to be better.

Thanks Medikit. I know my status says premed and I'm obviously quite a ways away from that point, but I'm also a 30 yr old Nontrad studying ID Epi, so it's good to get some idea of what's down the road. Fortunately I think I'm the type to be interested in a lot of things.

Any regrets about choosing ID?

Thanks Medikit. I know my status says premed and I'm obviously quite a ways away from that point, but I'm also a 30 yr old Nontrad studying ID Epi, so it's good to get some idea of what's down the road. Fortunately I think I'm the type to be interested in a lot of things.

Not yet but I'm just a fellow. I will be looking for faculty positions next year but I've been getting feedback from the senior fellows on the poor job market.

Update 10/1/2017: I love my job.

Last edited:

ID is a great field, if you like it.
Nobody does ID because of the money, and everybody knows Hospitalist make more money than most id docs.
Don't be discouraged, if you love it and don't see yourself doing anything else, you will be happy and money won't be an issue.
Loans? Negotiate in your contract some repayment( the more remote the location the better chances of that happening. ).

Reactions: 1 user
Wondering if people applying for jobs now or recently in the last few years can give insight into the market.
Opportunities, offers, etc.

Wondering if people applying for jobs now or recently in the last few years can give insight into the market.
Opportunities, offers, etc.

I have a friend looking now, there are jobs out there, but the pay is not very good on the ones advertised now
( 165-210) all over the map.
And in some instances some IM is required( don't go for that unless it is written and quantified in the contract how much and for how long.)

When you are ready if you know where you want to go find a hospital website and look for available docs by specialty. No ID on staff or only 1? Send an email to someone high up the food chain.
Easy to get contact information nowadays... Linked in is the best one so far, everyone seems to be there, so you if you are looking for a job, you need to be there! ;)