Infectious Disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Anonymouss

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in infectious disease right now and I am unsure about how to approach the antibiotics. As of right now, I have a solid understanding of the mechanisms of each antibiotic as well as their side effects, but for the life of me, I can't remember which antibiotics are used for which bacteria because there are so many different options, and it seems like these options will certainly change depending on where I practice. Should I look up what the most common treatment for each infection is and memorize that? Should I only be expected to understand mechanisms/side effects while in pre-clinicals? I guess I am just having a hard time because with the amount of information I am learning I will only be able to associate one bacteria with one antibiotic. I am sure in the future I can add depth to my pre-existing knowledge and factor in allergies, cost, etc, but right now trying to learn 10 antibiotics for 1 bacteria just isn't feasible. Any advice is appreciated because I need it.

Members don't see this ad.

Sketchy pharm + Zanki pharm = problem solved

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lolnotacop deck. dont use the sketchy decks or the zanki decks.

Reactions: 1 user
lolnotacop deck. dont use the sketchy decks or the zanki decks.

This could work too. I forgot that lol's got all the antimicrobials as well.

I am in infectious disease right now and I am unsure about how to approach the antibiotics. As of right now, I have a solid understanding of the mechanisms of each antibiotic as well as their side effects, but for the life of me, I can't remember which antibiotics are used for which bacteria because there are so many different options, and it seems like these options will certainly change depending on where I practice. Should I look up what the most common treatment for each infection is and memorize that? Should I only be expected to understand mechanisms/side effects while in pre-clinicals? I guess I am just having a hard time because with the amount of information I am learning I will only be able to associate one bacteria with one antibiotic. I am sure in the future I can add depth to my pre-existing knowledge and factor in allergies, cost, etc, but right now trying to learn 10 antibiotics for 1 bacteria just isn't feasible. Any advice is appreciated because I need it.
I was the opposite where it was easy for me to learn the antibiotics with the disease but for the life of me, I could not memorize MOAs and side effects of random antibiotics.

The way I did it was I ONLY focused on the diseases. I practically forgot about s. pneumo or mycoplasma pneumonia and instead I focused on pneumonia as the disease. I would then learn the top 3 antibiotics to treat pneumonia. Some disease deserve further categorization. For example, you should actually not just focus on pneumonia, but focus on nosocomial vs. communal pneumonia. From there, it was easy for me to remember the pathogens associated with the disease and therefore, the antibiotics (although it wasn't super precise).