Dr. Anonymouss

2+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2018
I am in infectious disease right now and I am unsure about how to approach the antibiotics. As of right now, I have a solid understanding of the mechanisms of each antibiotic as well as their side effects, but for the life of me, I can't remember which antibiotics are used for which bacteria because there are so many different options, and it seems like these options will certainly change depending on where I practice. Should I look up what the most common treatment for each infection is and memorize that? Should I only be expected to understand mechanisms/side effects while in pre-clinicals? I guess I am just having a hard time because with the amount of information I am learning I will only be able to associate one bacteria with one antibiotic. I am sure in the future I can add depth to my pre-existing knowledge and factor in allergies, cost, etc, but right now trying to learn 10 antibiotics for 1 bacteria just isn't feasible. Any advice is appreciated because I need it.

About the Ads

7331poas

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2015
Status
  1. Medical Student
lolnotacop deck. dont use the sketchy decks or the zanki decks.

Reactions: 1 user

datboi_58

2+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2018
I am in infectious disease right now and I am unsure about how to approach the antibiotics. As of right now, I have a solid understanding of the mechanisms of each antibiotic as well as their side effects, but for the life of me, I can't remember which antibiotics are used for which bacteria because there are so many different options, and it seems like these options will certainly change depending on where I practice. Should I look up what the most common treatment for each infection is and memorize that? Should I only be expected to understand mechanisms/side effects while in pre-clinicals? I guess I am just having a hard time because with the amount of information I am learning I will only be able to associate one bacteria with one antibiotic. I am sure in the future I can add depth to my pre-existing knowledge and factor in allergies, cost, etc, but right now trying to learn 10 antibiotics for 1 bacteria just isn't feasible. Any advice is appreciated because I need it.
I was the opposite where it was easy for me to learn the antibiotics with the disease but for the life of me, I could not memorize MOAs and side effects of random antibiotics.

The way I did it was I ONLY focused on the diseases. I practically forgot about s. pneumo or mycoplasma pneumonia and instead I focused on pneumonia as the disease. I would then learn the top 3 antibiotics to treat pneumonia. Some disease deserve further categorization. For example, you should actually not just focus on pneumonia, but focus on nosocomial vs. communal pneumonia. From there, it was easy for me to remember the pathogens associated with the disease and therefore, the antibiotics (although it wasn't super precise).

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads