Info about UCD rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was really upset with my UC Davis rejection so I contacted my pre-med advisor there. She spoke to the director of admissions and he told her that their process is to give each faculty committee member 35 applications. From this batch, only 5 can be recommended for an interview. I don't know if this is a common practice with other schools, but I know Northwestern has multiple people look at an application before a decision for a 2ndary, interview, reject/acceptance/hold can be made. One person picking 5 applicants out of 35 seems random and un-thorough to me.

Oh yeah, the director also confirmed that they're not accepting appeals this year. I'm convinced that the reason for this is b/c of the AMCAS problems and UCD's disorganization.

Sorry if I seem like I'm whining. I just really wanted to be considered there. Anyway, I hope this info is useful to some of you.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info!...
quite interesting! :)

Their system seems pretty ridiculous. There is no oversight whatsoever to prevent subjective personal preferences in a one-person review scenario. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be posting that they got into UCSF, UCLA, and Stanford and were rejected from Davis.

It's not just subjective personal preferences, but what if one batch is 'randomly' more qualified than another? And there's no second look by anyone? That's ridiculous.

Andrew