Info for Canadian Students who want to work in the U.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Musketeer

Guardian of Justice
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just found this piece of information and I want to share it with fellow Canadians...

The NAFTA TN Visa

Canadians looking for short term work permits should consider the NAFTA "TN" (treaty national) visa. The visa includes most professional designations. The TN visa is not designed for self employment. The visa is designed to accommodate short term employment in a professional capacity. Consultants must demonstrate that they are coming to the US to service a client, not to set up their own US business.

We can package your petition. Applicants may apply at border posts. You will be asked to show your professional credentials, proof of university education and a cover letter from the employer describing your job duties. The INS border inspector should process your application within a few hours.

If you are already in the US you can apply for TN status by mail through an INS regional processing center.

The Visa lasts one year but is renewable indefinitely. Common sense dictates that the longer you have the TN visa the more scrutiny you face at the border.

The TN visa automatically expires upon application for permanent residence. If you have a TN and want a green card, change status to H1B or E treaty status before applying for the green card. The H1B lasts for up to six years, which is generally more than enough time to process the green card.

The TN visa is only available to Canadian citizens, not landed immigrants.

The TN category offers Canadian professionals a fast track into the US. Once in the US one may consider other options for a longer term stay.

You may be thinking; "Wasn't Mexico was included in NAFTA too?" Yes they were, and the TN visa is available to Mexican Citizens also, but they must apply through the INS Service Centers inside the United States, and are subject to longer processing times. Our Mexican clients often wonder why this is too.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think that helps much since it clearly states the visa cannot be used to set up a business.

Yup I know, the only way to start a business is to:
1) be a citizen of U.S.
2) resident of one

I am just putting this up for those who wish to become an associate what visa they will need and the restrictions to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Musketeer,

Do you know if this visa requires the employer to sponsor the applicant?

If yes, I doubt many dentists will be too enthusiastic to shell out extra money just to employ someone.

I have already posted many posts on this topic since I am a Canadian who worked in the US on TN for 1 year before moving back.

If you become an associate, just make sure that the senior dentist understands what you being canadian means and the implications that could have if a future buy out is the goal.

Mine, did not - even after I explained it to him over and over!:mad: