Info needed from med. students in CA!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

Osteo4sure

Hi,

I'm an out-of-stater who just recently recieved an invitation for an interview at Western/COMP. I was just interested in finding out about the rep of the school, especially in the local CA area. IF anyone has been in contact with any of their students of faculty, or even just knows a bit about the school, I would tremendously appreciate your HONEST opinion of the institution and its students. (especially interested in the opinions of other allopathic students). Thanks a bunch!!

Members don't see this ad.

Osteo4sure- I hope you don't mind me replying even though you may think I have a bias towards COMP. While I was researching DO schools, I started asking around different labs and hospitals I volunteered at about COMP. Although most of the time, people were not readily familiar with a med school in Pomona, the ones that did know a doctor who had graduated from COMP had only positive things to say. (This included colleagues of COMP graduates, a director of medical education at a hospital in southern Cali, nurses, and even a few people I had volunteered with in a children's hospital. One girl even mentioned that she had become interested in one day applying to med school after talking to her family physician who was a COMP grad) From these accounts, I got the feeling that if I did my part to work hard and I ended up attending COMP, I could turn out to be a decent doctor myself someday.

It's still early to say how things will turn out, but I am enjoying myself out here and learning a few things along the way. We'll see how the tempo of this semester goes... first semester was brutal, but second semester is supposedly the one where we have more time to become involved in outside activities, organizations, etc. and I am looking forward to volunteering for some added clinical experience.

Hope your COMP interview goes well.. it's chilly here so bring a jacket! (Don't worry.. it's only chilly from what.. late December to February? When I left for home mid-December it was high 70's outside!)