Info on Drew/UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rather than go on rumors, I'd like some opinions on just what kind of person they're looking for.

I work with an African-American P.A. who tells me that I'm exactly what they're looking for (older white male, podiatrist, UCLA grad....but only a 3.1 undergrad with MCAT's expected to be around a 28 or so). In other words, a non-minority with lots of relevant clinical and academic experience, but not a stellar undergrad record.

From all appearances, Drew looks like a medical school that selects primarily from under-represented minority candidates. Is this true? Also, does anyone know of their criteria as far as grades/MCAT's??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

well this one is kind of an enigma to me, which pertains to just about every school . . . but what i can gather from numbers and what i have experienced is that they are looking for people who have competitive gpa's and mcats that have shown some interest and dedication to work with the underserved.

they definitely accept more minorities, but i imagine that the majority of the applicant pool consists of minorities, so that does say a whole lot to me.

from the people i have talked to and the impression that i got from my interview, they don't seem to accept as many people with lower stats as would howard or morehouse, but i am not 100% sure of that, and who really knows what combination they are looking for, or will accept? ucla has the final say to who drew accepts, but ucla hasn't over-ridden any of their decisions yet.

if you feel you have a shot and really would like to attend a program that is working to get more help for underserved communities, then i really think you should go for it. i am a white male and i got an interview, so that probably says a little something about prior experience.

if you have any other specific questions, just post them, there are plenty of people who know about this school on this website

i heard from an SDN member, that his friend (a persian girl) got accepted to Drew with a 3.5ish gpa and 27 or 28 MCAT. so they do accept non-minorities.

i would imagine they favor URMs, but that they consider anyone that has shown a genuine interest in working with underserved populations, independent of ethnic background.

On the side, I think it's getting increasingly harder to get into Drew. I don't know anyone from my school that got accepted; lots of students at my school got waitlisted and we are supposedly a feeder school to drew.

That's some great info., guys. Thanks!

Did anyone visit Drew before applying? I called and they said that it was possible to visit with a student.