UCLA/Drew vs Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1017183

Duke
Pros
  • Irrefutable top 10
  • 100% FREE!! (Need + Merit scholarships)
  • Private school: more individualized attention/less competition for opportunities? I have been a public school attendee my entire life so I don't particularly know what hides behind the big divide (I know, I know)
  • Smaller town: Durham is similar in size to the city I am currently in. Less traffic, etc.
  • Money is important to me and not having to worry about expenses is a huge perk.

Cons
  • Student body doesn't seem as diverse.
  • Patient population is less diverse than that of UCLA.

UCLA/Drew
Pros
  • Patient populations reflects who I want to work with right now
  • UCLA hospital system is incredibly robust
  • Dual support network through Drew and UCLA.
  • Students seem great and would be awesome to be part of a cohort that shares a similar background
  • Full tuition Scholarship + $20k Need based grant (~$80k debt)
  • Diverse city with people who also share my background (immigrant/hispanic)

Cons
  • Los Angeles is huge and I hate traffic. I'm from a medium/small sized city
  • Possible stigma against Drew students? (I have heard this will be the case regardless of where I go due to being URM).
  • Cost of living/general financial stress.

Summary: Truthfully I was set on UCLA/Drew until Duke hit me with this incredibly generous offer. I don't have a specialty preference set in stone. I do believe that you're a product of your environment so i'll likely be influenced by those around me. I love the Western United States (where I'm located), but also wouldn't mind the growth of a new environment. Both are far from family so likely won't make a huge difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Duke, not close imo. Can always match back in CA after 4 yrs to actually work with your patient pop.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it just comes down to vibes. Def go to second looks if you can. Your cons for both are very minor, and at the end of the day you seem like you could be happy at either school. I do wonder if you lean more towards UCLA though because you were initially thinking that before money was on the table. Money is important, but your happiness is even more so. Also, 80k isn't an unreasonable amount either, considering other factors. So I think just go with your gut, no real wrong decision here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with Duke and get involved with LMSA (if you are a Hispanic URM) to remain connected to that patient population. I think your residency training location will be more important in the long run in terms of serving and working with patients you have a passion for. I met a MS4 who had just matched from Pitt to UTEP specifically to work with Spanish-speaking populations. Preclinical/research time seems pretty standardized across all programs and Duke will give you a leg up for competitive specialties with the research year.

I would go with Duke and get involved with LMSA (if you are a Hispanic URM) to remain connected to that patient population. I think your residency training location will be more important in the long run in terms of serving and working with patients you have a passion for. I met a MS4 who had just matched from Pitt to UTEP specifically to work with Spanish-speaking populations. Preclinical/research time seems pretty standardized across all programs and Duke will give you a leg up for competitive specialties with the research year.
I think you're a fellow New Mexican. Thanks for the pointers. Love our people here and will likey return wherever I go.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it just comes down to vibes. Def go to second looks if you can. Your cons for both are very minor, and at the end of the day you seem like you could be happy at either school. I do wonder if you lean more towards UCLA though because you were initially thinking that before money was on the table. Money is important, but your happiness is even more so. Also, 80k isn't an unreasonable amount either, considering other factors. So I think just go with your gut, no real wrong decision here.
If I'm being honest I overall think the environment at UCLA is more my vibe. Things can go one of two ways at Duke: I am influenced by the environment to perform at my best, or I am in comparison hell with little support/familiarity to offset that and bring me back to reality.

Duke would be the logical choice, but your heart is cleary with UCLA. I would choose where you would be the most happy. 80k debt is not that much. I would ask UCLA if they can increase your aid.

Duke would be the logical choice, but your heart is cleary with UCLA. I would choose where you would be the most happy. 80k debt is not that much. I would ask UCLA if they can increase your aid.
This was already after negotiations after a staff member went to vouch for me. I don't know that I would be able to apply for any more merit aid but I think maybe outside scholarships might help.

If I'm being honest I overall think the environment at UCLA is more my vibe. Things can go one of two ways at Duke: I am influenced by the environment to perform at my best, or I am in comparison hell with little support/familiarity to offset that and bring me back to reality.
I'm the exact same way lol. I hope people withdraw and a scholarship opens up for you to have :)

• Love