Info on internship rotations for foreign graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fremitus

BRAIN DOC AND SHRINK
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would just like to know if there are institutions that offer internship rotations for Philippine med school graduates. I don't intend to spend my entire first post graduate year in the U.S., but if possible I would like to have an internship rotation there, particularly in surgery.

Here in the Philippines we are required to undergo one year of ROTATING internship, unlike there in the U.S. where in you have the option to go on a STRAIGHT internship. We are required to roatate in all diciplines before we could take our licencure exams and go into residency.

I think your PGY-1 is already equivelent to our first year of residency here in the Philippines.

Thanks people, I hope someone out there could help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...good question. I've never heard of anyone doing a visiting rotation as a physician (just as a medical student). I suspect this is because there are some very difficult issues to resolve - namely, malpractice/liability insurance and the licensing issue (ie, you would have to have at least a preliminary/medical trainee license to work in ANY clinical capacity in the US. Doing so usually requires the full ECFMG route - ie, USMLE exams, etc. as well as a ton of paperwork.)

Now obviously we get visiting professors from time to time who are not subjected to such requirements but I'm afraid I don't know if it would be possible to visit/work in the US as an intern/resident for any period shorter than 1 year (and which wouldn't require ECFMG certification).

I don't know anything about rotating internships in the US, but have you considered the UK? Their internships are rotating (called house officers). The one thing to watch out for is the racism there. Check the back of the BMJ for jobs.