Quantcast

Info on NYC programs - NYU/Columbia esp.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OB2B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm applying right now, and focusing on the NYC area. Anyone have useful feedback on the NYC programs. I'm especially curious if anyone wants to weigh in on NYU or Columbia.
NYU - I did an elective and had very positive experience - good residents, good attendings, good atmosphere. But a friend of mine was there in a different month, different elective in the dept. and had a negative one. Anyone want to share an impression to round out mine?
Columbia - Obviously a great program on paper, but I have no contacts there to get the scoop. I've heard residents at other programs bad-mouthing it as a malignant atmosphere loaded mostly with private patients you couldn't touch; not sure if it was sour grapes (at least two of them had ranked it but not matched there) or an accurate assesment.

Info on other programs here also appreciated. Thanks!

tiredmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from one of the residents at my school who did med school at columbia that it was a good program, she considered it highly - but ranked differently for family concerns.

Pfannenstiel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While we're talking about NYC, does anybody have any info re: Cornell? I've rumors of poor resident treatment, but they're second-hand.

MichiMO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My program director recommended NYU, Cornell, Mt. Sanai, Columbia, and Einstein. He did mention that Cornell is predominatly a private hospital...so that may have been where some of those rumors came from

OB2B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the Cornell website, they actually have some statement about having a large number of private patients where the attendings do deliveries themselves, with something about "the realities of practice in NYC in the days of high malpractice" - sounds like they know they have a problem with residents not getting adequate procedures (don't know if this also applies to OR/gyn) and don't care to fix it.

Maybe you get more hands on at their Queens hospital, but that's a private hospital, not a public one, too, so maybe not.