Info on the BIG 4s' islands

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAK86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that AUC is not in a 3rd world like place. What about the other three? can anyone please tell me about those. I don't know much about caribbean.

And which of these schools have better stats in students passing their usmles?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that AUC is not in a 3rd world like place. What about the other three? can anyone please tell me about those. I don't know much about caribbean.

And which of these schools have better stats in students passing their usmles?

Grenada is a pretty decent island, IMHO. It has some nice beaches, there are one or two malls not too far from the SGU campus, there are supermarkets near campus, decent restaurants, and there are some even some clubs that aren't all that far from campus. Its probably nowhere near as developed as St. Maarten, but I was perfectly happy living there. I'm not familiar with Dominica or Saba, but I've heard they're pretty third world.

Oh yeah, and last time I checked, the Step 1 pass rate for first-time takers from SGU was something like 93%.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah, and last time I checked, the Step 1 pass rate for first-time takers from SGU was something like 93%.

Do you know the pass rate of AUC?
How do find these pass rates anyway?

Anyone else know about these islands on which the big 4s are?

Dominica (ross)- is about as third world as you can get. You will not have clean water, will have power outages, no hot water.

Saba- Island is about 5 square miles, the total population is about 1200, including the med school. Very third world and primative island.

St. George (grenada)- Much nicer than Saba or dominica. not exactly first world country but not third. Only problem with Grenada is the crime rate is very high. Almost 3-3.5 times more than the US.

St. Marteen- Very nice island, big tourist place. not quite the US but much much closer than any of the other island.

If your looking for the island that is most like the US then look into St. Matthews on Grand Cayman. Cayman is very close to being like a really slow paced florida.

Thanks for the info jackets5. you're the best!!!

Do you know the pass rate of AUC?
How do find these pass rates anyway?

I go to AUC... It's doable (just like anywhere else)

We started with 175 students, after week 1, 10 went home because they didn't know what they were getting into (didn't like to study), after the semester, only like 10 failed out and another 30 decelled...

If you come here and study you will do fine... The people that are having trouble are the people going out Thursday - Sunday night... These are the people that 1) barely pass every class, or 2) fail half their classes and have to decell, 3) get sent home...About a third of or class is like this (excessive partying) and most will be going home eventually.... Here in second semester we are about to lose another 25-30 to decel and prolly another 15 to failing. These people just don't get the point of being here....

For me, I read everydays material on that day, and review that weeks material on the weekend... I still get to go out a few times a week to see a movie or whatever and haven't scored less than an 80% on any test, with a 70% being passing....

Most people won't fail out but will fail a class and have to decell and get done later on... It's when you fail the same class twice or more than 15-17 credit hours overall you get kicked out...

As a graduate of AUC (in neurosurgery - Class of 2002) - you can reach your goals from this school. Good luck.