info on US vet schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caribvet2b

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, i'm new here, but i'm currently a vet student at ross university on st. kitts. after 2 1/2 years here we go on to do a year of clinical rotations with the US students at one of the US schools. i still have plenty of time to decide where i'll go, but i'm interested in finding out more about what goes on at the schools. i'm from NJ, so i'm only semi familiar with a few east coast schools. so if anyone wants to jump in here and let me know how they're enjoying their time at school now or simply tell some experiences from past years, that would be great.

i'm interested in who likes/dislikes their school experiences and why, where are some interesting places to live (some schools are closer to big cities than others, some are in more 'farm' country, etc), what you feel you're gaining from your clinical experiences, etc. also, while i'm an experienced horse person, i also have a strong interest in small animal medicine, so at this time i'm not really sure which one will eventually pull my attention. if you have had good experiences with any school in the field of large animal medicine or small animal medicine i'd love to hear your thoughts and maybe pick a direction.

so tell me anything you want about the school you're attending, i'm not really leaning one way or the other right now for any particular school, which is why i'm looking to gain more info about as many as i can in order to make the best choice for myself when it's time to leave paradise in the caribbean. :)

thanks so much in advance.......and of course if there's anything you don't feel comfortable publicizing, feel free to send me a private message.

Members don't see this ad.

question:

what made you decide to go to ross over US schools? Did you look into US schools before going to Ross or?

well it wasn't like i decided to go to ross 'over' US schools, i just didn't get the chance to go to a US vet school instead of ross. i applied 2 years and didn't get in, even though i've kept a 3.5 GPA and had above average GRE scores.....for whatever reason, i wasn't accepted and i decided rather than spend another few years of my life waiting around for a school to accept me, i'd jump in here and be out in under 4 years. plus i have known many ross graduates and worked with them, they're all wonderful vets and had good things to say about their education here, so that's why i decided to come here.

i have nothing against my education here. in fact, i like our program a lot, and it's not like we have to apply to go to the US school for our last year, we're guaranteed to go somewhere, that's the system...28 months here and then 1 year at a school in the US....so i'm simply looking for info on the clinical experiences of some US vet students in order to get a better idea where i'd like to go when i leave here.

Members don't see this ad :)
so....100 people have seen this and no one wants to say anything?? isn't there anyone out there in vet school that wants to say how they like/dislike their school? really, i'll appreciate any comments about schools or programs people are in right now..............thanks :)

Hey caribvet2b! I suggest that you post your question on the Pre-vet and career forum on about.com (vetmedicine.about.com/mpboards.htm)...It seems to attract more current vet and pre-vet students than this forum and they could answer your question...As for myself, I am pretty sure I am heading down to vet school at St. George's University this fall..It is nice to hear from other students that are experiencing the off-shore path:) Hope this helps and good luck!

caribvet2b said:
so..
..100 people have seen this and no one wants to say anything?? isn't there anyone out there in vet school that wants to say how they like/dislike their school? really, i'll appreciate any comments about schools or programs people are in right now..............thanks :)

thanks for the suggestion hopeful, good luck at st. george's :)

I'm a 4th year at UF. Gainesville's a small-ish college town with some local country. We have a fairly strong equine program, esp with being so close to Ocala. Our small animal hospital is probably much of the same as the others. We do not have a specific emergency service/critical care. We do take emergencies 24/7 though we don;t have any boarded criticalists and the case load isn;t that high. We don't have a boarded oncologist, but we do have regular chemo patients and an onco nurse. Our LA Repro sees a lot of the racing TBs and we do have two of the world "experts" in SA Repro. Our ophtho and surgery programs are also very good. The weather is also fairly decent. Summer highs: 90s Winter lows: 30s

Can I email you privately regarding your application process/grades/GRE score to St. George's U? What is your email address?

QUOTE=hopeful_dvm]Hey caribvet2b! I suggest that you post your question on the Pre-vet and career forum on about.com (vetmedicine.about.com/mpboards.htm)...It seems to attract more current vet and pre-vet students than this forum and they could answer your question...As for myself, I am pretty sure I am heading down to vet school at St. George's University this fall..It is nice to hear from other students that are experiencing the off-shore path:) Hope this helps and good luck![/QUOTE]

Can you tell me more about your application process or experience to SGU - your grades, GRE, interview, essay, etc? Have you received your acceptance letter? Do you start August 2005? Were you able to finish all your pre-requisites? Can I contact you privately by email? Thanks!

hopeful_dvm said:
Hey caribvet2b! I suggest that you post your question on the Pre-vet and career forum on about.com (vetmedicine.about.com/mpboards.htm)...It seems to attract more current vet and pre-vet students than this forum and they could answer your question...As for myself, I am pretty sure I am heading down to vet school at St. George's University this fall..It is nice to hear from other students that are experiencing the off-shore path:) Hope this helps and good luck!