info regading bilingual speech therapist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htam00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just graduated from college (BS in psychology) with a GPA 3.5. I am thinking to become a bilingual speech therapist. I speak English and several other languages, but I do speak English with an accent. Therefore, I wonder if this will become an issue to become a speech therapist. Thank you very much! I look forward to your reply~~

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I just graduated from college (BS in psychology) with a GPA 3.5. I am thinking to become a bilingual speech therapist. I speak English and several other languages, but I do speak English with an accent. Therefore, I wonder if this will become an issue to become a speech therapist. Thank you very much! I look forward to your reply~~

Bilingual speech-language pathologists are in very high demand (particularly Spanish and Chinese languages, though it demands on where you want to work). Some school districts offer major bonuses and loan payment programs for bilingual SLPs. Your accent will not be a problem, as the field does not regard accented speech as a disorders. I have many friends and professors in my SLP program with accents! If you would like to lessen your accent, you could always undergo accent modification therapy with a speech therapist yourself.

thank you very much for your reply RemiJP!!! because my accent is the biggest issue that is holding me back from entering the field... Many thanks!! ohoh...btw....Do you know any school districts may offer bonuses and loan payment programs for bilingual SLPs, specifically for Bilingual in Englsih and (mandarin + cantonese)?? As what you have mentioned in your reply? Once again, thank you very much!

Bilingual Speech-Language Pathology Center, Inc. provides evaluations, treatments and orientation to parents, professionals and the general community regarding speech-language disorders. In the area of language, we work with the prerequisites of language, auditory comprehension, receptive language and expressive communication. In the area of speech, we work with articulation, phonological processes, voice, fluency, feeding, oral motor and other conditions that affect communication. In the area of hearing, we work with aural habilitation and rehabilitation, auditory-verbal strategies and total communication. We also provide assistive technology to patients who require augmentative/alternative communication due to physiological conditions with the goal of correcting or minimizing their communicative disorders...