Advice on SLP Post-Bacc / PreReqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

would-be

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on applying to MS/MA SLP programs and am a little uncertain about what to do when it comes to pre-reqs and post-bacc programs. I'm a non-major (BA International Affairs, minors in German and International Human Rights / MA Political Science) with a few general science courses (nothing SLP-oriented) under my belt, and I could use some advice.

(1) Is it necessary to do SLP-related coursework prior to applying? (From what I've read elsewhere, there are programs which claim to accept those without relevant coursework, but given how competitive admissions can be, it's generally a good idea to take SLP courses prior to applying. Is this accurate?)

(2) Does it matter whether one completes an "official" post-bacc program vs. simply taking relevant courses?*

(3) Although there are many commonalities, different SLP programs have different course prerequisites. Does this mean that a given post-bacc program or set of courses could be adequate for some schools, but would disqualify me from being admitted to others?

(4) Any insight into extended three-year MA/MS programs which incorporate pre-reqs into the degree itself?

* This is one of my main concerns. I live very near to a good, affordable state university with Communication Disorders and Audiology grad programs...this university doesn't have an official post-bacc program, but I could certainly just take the set of courses they list as prerequisites for their MA program. Would that be considered as equivalent to a post-bacc?

Not sure how relevant this is, but I did well in undergrad (3.95), in grad school (4.0), and on the GRE (165 verbal / 160 quant). I've also worked in adult education for a few years, both one-on-one and in classroom settings - ESL, GED, and life skills.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I may be able to provide some insight. 1) Depends on the school. I knew which 2 or 3 schools I wanted to apply to and what their requirements were. i also CALLED and spoke with people to confirm I could apply without ALL of my pre- reqs done, ( I was finishing the last of them the summer before starting the MS program but I had to apply while in progress.) I did not do an official post bacc, I do NOT think you need to do one (even for Med school you do not, just need the relevant courses and to do well in them. When I was ready I called a local uni and asked to register for courses I knew were pre-reqs. I had to push - they did not like to let people do this but I tried and was able to. 3) I doubt that pre reqs that differ wd disqualify your admission but maybe it has gotten so competitive that this is something that happens. BTW the school I did my MS at had a a lot of students taking pre-reqs there and applying for the program there ( I was an anomaly) but it probably helped their chances and their transition into the program while I was brand new and knew no one (which has its pros and cons). Good luck !