Informal Post Bac in Pennsylvania? Share Your Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dayzed00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone done an informal post bac in Pennsylvania or surrounding area? My parents are in PA, if I go to a school near by, I could save up for med school.

If you have, please share your experience.
Where did you go?
Were you treated differently than post bac students (maybe lack of support from the faculty)?
How was studying MCAT on your own without a course?
Do you regret doing the informal post bac vs a structured post bac?

Thank you for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

if this is not for pre-reqs and a do it yourself to raise gpa....i took online classes at harvard extension. no need to relocate. cheaper than most 4 year universities and outstanding quality. you'll see they have some classes that can be listed as bcpm.

if this is not for pre-reqs and a do it yourself to raise gpa....i took online classes at harvard extension. no need to relocate. cheaper than most 4 year universities and outstanding quality. you'll see they have some classes that can be listed as bcpm.

I wouldn't take an online class despite the prestige of the institution and the affordability of the classes. It's just not the same. However, I am curious about how the labs are conducted. Can you please share your experience on that?

I wouldn't take an online class despite the prestige of the institution and the affordability of the classes. It's just not the same. However, I am curious about how the labs are conducted. Can you please share your experience on that?

let me clarify - i never took any pre-reqs online and i would not recommend anyone to do that either.

as for "it's not the same" - for pre-reqs you are absolutely right. i'm not sure how adcoms view online classes either so you are right again.

i just want to comment further for the fun of it. i never cared for harvard extension because of the "prestige" (what prestige? it's open enrollment) but i loved it for the quality. that's what mattered to me (the substance). i truly enjoyed my learning experience and feel that i have become an excellent student as a result (before hes i already earned a bs from a top 15 college although i did not have an appreciation for academics as i do now). the online experience was great and i do think that this is the future and 20 years from now it'll become widely accepted (not for pre-reqs though :)).

i still think that for raising the gpa / numbers - it's a great option (and maybe the only option for some who can't afford to pay $500 / $1000 per credit)