informal post bacc question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duvaldentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone, I hope everyone is doing well. My question is currently I am doing an informal post bacc to raise my stats. With that being said I've only gotten into three of my four classes (11 credits instead of 14), I'm trying everything in my power to put things together after being screwed out of my 4th class but its not looking to good at this point in time since its almost the end of the add period. So my questions are #1 will 11 credit hours look bad (I mean its not the lack of effort to get into more classes its just time conflicts and lack of courses to take are holding me back) and secondly if I do get into another course it will be a HSC "Health Sciences Course" (Either epidemiology, or human diseases) both of which are upper level courses. Will taking these classes be a waste of time being that they are not Biology courses or will they suffice for the given situation? Also if last case senario should I take basic astronomy being that it somehow relates to science or a pottery class just to fill the void so I can work on manuel dexterity or would that also be a waste?

Please any and all advice is welcome, so let me know what you guys think i should do.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone, I hope everyone is doing well. My question is currently I am doing an informal post bacc to raise my stats. With that being said I've only gotten into three of my four classes (11 credits instead of 14), I'm trying everything in my power to put things together after being screwed out of my 4th class but its not looking to good at this point in time since its almost the end of the add period. So my questions are #1 will 11 credit hours look bad (I mean its not the lack of effort to get into more classes its just time conflicts and lack of courses to take are holding me back) and secondly if I do get into another course it will be a HSC "Health Sciences Course" (Either epidemiology, or human diseases) both of which are upper level courses. Will taking these classes be a waste of time being that they are not Biology courses or will they suffice for the given situation? Also if last case senario should I take a pottery class just to fill the void so I can work on manuel dexterity or would that also be a waste?

Please any and all advice is welcome, so let me know what you guys think i should do.

I believe Epidemiology and Human Diseases course can be counted towards other science course. So, its not super bad to take either of them.

I believe Epidemiology and Human Diseases course can be counted towards other science course. So, its not super bad to take either of them.

Thank you for the speedy response, do you have any other sugestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the speedy response, do you have any other sugestions?

I suggest taking Biochemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Neuroscience, Immunology, Microbiology, Cell/Molecular Biology and Histology courses. What have you taken so far?

During my post-bac, full time was considered 8 hrs. if they (Dental schools) question why you took 11 hrs, you could tell them that you were considered full time and you couldn't afford to pay for any more credit hrs that semester...Just a thought.

David Duval,

You will want to load up on as many science courses as you can to show that you can complete them at a high level. Those health courses show be just fine to supplement your pre-reqs at this stage. Take this chance to impress, not just get A's in a "few" courses. Stand out.

I suggest taking Biochemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Neuroscience, Immunology, Microbiology, Cell/Molecular Biology and Histology courses. What have you taken so far?

Great suggestion but I have taken all the above courses accept histoology and I'm taking neuroscience now. I guess you can see my dilemma.

David Duval,

You will want to load up on as many science courses as you can to show that you can complete them at a high level. Those health courses show be just fine to supplement your pre-reqs at this stage. Take this chance to impress, not just get A's in a "few" courses. Stand out.

I know I'm trying to take as many as possible but either I ran out to take or time conflicts with schedules or there full... Do you know if astronomy counts despot it being a 2000 level course (lower level).

During my post-bac, full time was considered 8 hrs. if they (Dental schools) question why you took 11 hrs, you could tell them that you were considered full time and you couldn't afford to pay for any more credit hrs that semester...Just a thought.

Wow only 8 hrs that's great for you, if you don't mind me asking how long ago did you do your post bacc. And btw for me it's 12 hrs to be full time

I know I'm trying to take as many as possible but either I ran out to take or time conflicts with schedules or there full... Do you know if astronomy counts despot it being a 2000 level course (lower level).

Don't do astronomy, no relevance to the field.

List your upper biology courses.

Ok guys I managed to sweet talk an old proffesor to let me in his class by expanding the Cap. So I have 14 credit hours right now, With that being said I am enrolled for a 1 credit hour class thats pass fail. Which means no GPA booster, should I drop it and save the money or keep it to make it look like i have more credit hours (with the class i will have 15 hrs)? Its biology lecture seminar its a course were diffrent speakers come in a give presentations. As long as we attend once a week for an hour and a half on firdays and write reviews of the lectures we pass. Should i keep it or drop the course?

Ok guys I managed to sweet talk an old proffesor to let me in his class by expanding the Cap. So I have 14 credit hours right now, With that being said I am enrolled for a 1 credit hour class thats pass fail. Which means no GPA booster, should I drop it and save the money or keep it to make it look like i have more credit hours (with the class i will have 15 hrs)? Its biology lecture seminar its a course were diffrent speakers come in a give presentations. As long as we attend once a week for an hour and a half on firdays and write reviews of the lectures we pass. Should i keep it or drop the course?

drop. DROP.