Informal Post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile matters

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently applied this cycle but chances seem very slim as I expected. I want to prepare for my gap year. I am planning on retaking my DAT, since I got a 17AA. In addition to that my GPA is at 3.3 and sGPA is 3.0. I want to take couple classes at a university close by home. Do you think that is a good idea? Also, it is okay to take courses at a CC after graduation? If not this, I want to retake my DAT and work at some clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is a good idea to take some more classes to boost both of your GPAs, and to retake your DAT. I'm not sure what the general rule is for taking classes after graduation at a community college.

4 year institution at a state school is what is recommended.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it is a good idea to take some more classes to boost both of your GPAs, and to retake your DAT. I'm not sure what the general rule is for taking classes after graduation at a community college.
Thank you! I will do that!

I have another question: I am graduating in December (a semester early) and would like to see if anyone recommends volunteering and studying for the DAT until summer and then take classes around next fall till the summer before dental school?

Reactions: 1 user
someone please help me! I wanna know if I am making the right decision!

What I would recommend would be to look at the schools you are looking to apply to first and check their requirements when it comes to CC credits/Pre-reqs/Avg GPA and DAT. This is important since schools may not accept certain pre-reqs if you did poorly in them and schools tend to not look favorably on CC credits, so you may have to retake them and if you do take additional coursework, try to take it at a 4 year university. Since the average matriculant DAT is ~ 20 with a GPA of ~ 3.5, you may need to take some additional coursework to raise that GPA with a DAT retake (Shooting for above average to help compensate for the low GPA). Please make sure you are smart when doing all of this because it can get rather pricey and time consuming. Also, remember that this is only half of the equation, if your ECs are not the best, your academics will need to shine and vice versa, so keep that in mind too when making your decisions. Best of Luck!

Your GPA is fine. It isn’t great but isn’t bad either. Just take the classes wherever most convienent for you. Retake your DAT and aim for at least a 20AA. The key is don’t force yourself to do too many things at once. Just focus to retaking the DAT first then move on to other experiences.
that makes sense! But I was wondering since I am graduating a semester early, should I focus just on my DAT and then take classes after my DAT? I realized that if I take classes over summer, it won't really help my application because my GPA won't change. Am I right?

If I were you, I would consider taking two classes next semester get A's in them, and then begin studying for the DAT after your classes are finished. While you're taking those classes you can shadow more, or if you can find a position at a clinic you could do that. You could shoot for a July 1st retake. Even with you taking the DAT in July, you could go ahead and apply in June or wait till you know your scores.

that makes sense! But I was wondering since I am graduating a semester early, should I focus just on my DAT and then take classes after my DAT? I realized that if I take classes over summer, it won't really help my application because my GPA won't change. Am I right?

Last edited: