Informatics Pharmacist without residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTP21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

I'm on my last year of pharmacy school and am planning on getting a pharmacy analyst job (most likely epic willow, hoping to find an institution that will sponsor me for the certification) as almost all informatics pharmacist jobs require a few years of experience in the field... I only worked at an independent pharmacy for a few years and have no hospital/IT experience :( Are there other ways I can go about getting a IT RPH job w/o residency? I'm currently located in NY but am willing to move anywhere jobs may be. I'd appreciate any opinion so don't hesitate to share your experiences or advise on my plan!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't mean any offense but wouldn't you need to have some kind of knowledge of workflow and actual on the job pharmacist experience to be considered for an analyst position? Seems like it would be challenging for a new grad to contribute constructively.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean any offense but wouldn't you need to have some kind of knowledge of workflow and actual on the job pharmacist experience to be considered for an analyst position? Seems like it would be challenging for a new grad to contribute constructively.

I totally agree... I'm currently on my informatics rotation and am learning epic daily. My preceptor was the one who gave me the idea of getting an analyst job and I plan on volunteering here for 6 months / writing on my resume I have some epic experience, which I hope will help me a bit in job searching!

Epic, Cerner, and Meditech will hire "dumb" pharmacists for analyst rates ($60-80k) as a training position while you provide SME skills.

Search Display

You do not need a residency nor the fellowship if you're willing to work for less to start. But, it is like management consulting where it's all Brand You and if you don't advocate for yourself, you'll be out of a job, a career, with nothing to show for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Also seeking advice in the Pharmacy Informatics area. Currently a third year student and will be starting my informatics rotation soon.