information on animal careers

Started by cantaluna
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cantaluna

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello again. I also would like to inquire about other animal careers besides becoming a veterinarian. I am thinking about going back to school and interested in a career other than veterinary medicine. I would like to do research in which I can help animals by maybe coming up with treatment to help those that are sick. Something to that affect. However although I believe I would like to do research in helping animals I have no idea where to look for this information (such as schools, titles of this choice, etc.) Any information will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
 
I think that maybe majoring in Microbiology would be the best route. Here's some information about it http://www.asm.org/Education/index.asp?bid=1272. I know here at OkState they have a dual program where you go to vet school for 2 years, then do a year in the microbiology program, go back to vet school for 2 years and then do a couple more years to finish up the microbiology program.

You could also try to set up a time to talk to the head of the Biology Dept. at any nearby universities and see if they can help you determine what major to go into.