1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

information on animal careers

Discussion in 'Veterinary' started by cantaluna, Feb 27, 2007.

1. cantaluna

Non-Student
    hello again. I also would like to inquire about other animal careers besides becoming a veterinarian. I am thinking about going back to school and interested in a career other than veterinary medicine. I would like to do research in which I can help animals by maybe coming up with treatment to help those that are sick. Something to that affect. However although I believe I would like to do research in helping animals I have no idea where to look for this information (such as schools, titles of this choice, etc.) Any information will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

2. HeartSong

HeartSong Okstate 2010
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I think that maybe majoring in Microbiology would be the best route. Here's some information about it http://www.asm.org/Education/index.asp?bid=1272. I know here at OkState they have a dual program where you go to vet school for 2 years, then do a year in the microbiology program, go back to vet school for 2 years and then do a couple more years to finish up the microbiology program.

You could also try to set up a time to talk to the head of the Biology Dept. at any nearby universities and see if they can help you determine what major to go into.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...