information on animal careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cantaluna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello again. I also would like to inquire about other animal careers besides becoming a veterinarian. I am thinking about going back to school and interested in a career other than veterinary medicine. I would like to do research in which I can help animals by maybe coming up with treatment to help those that are sick. Something to that affect. However although I believe I would like to do research in helping animals I have no idea where to look for this information (such as schools, titles of this choice, etc.) Any information will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that maybe majoring in Microbiology would be the best route. Here's some information about it http://www.asm.org/Education/index.asp?bid=1272. I know here at OkState they have a dual program where you go to vet school for 2 years, then do a year in the microbiology program, go back to vet school for 2 years and then do a couple more years to finish up the microbiology program.

You could also try to set up a time to talk to the head of the Biology Dept. at any nearby universities and see if they can help you determine what major to go into.