Information on Aussie Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transition

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've started a blog about medical school in Australia as an international. I've typed up a summary of each GEMP in Aus and will be posting up information on pathways towards licensure (Aus, Canada or the US) via studying in Aus for medical school. I'll also be posting on my future experiences as an international in Aus.

I figured that this information that I've collected over the last bit could be useful to some folks thinking of applying in the near future. Let me know if you have any questions/comments/suggestions.

http://polarplatypus.blogspot.com/

Members don't see this ad.

Good call. I'd been thinking about putting together an FAQ for the forum, but I never actually took the time to do it.

Does anybody know the number of international applicants that are typically applying to Australian Medical Schools each year? I can see that the number of international applicants admitted to some of the schools is very small.

I'm particularly interested in USyd but they only offer 45 spots for international applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for starting the blog. I can't wait for the posts about returning to US or Canada.

Hey Transition,
The USyd weighting of admission is 50/50 with MCAT and interview.

" Applicants will then be ranked on the basis of their GAMSAT/MCAT performance (50%) and their MMI performance (50%). This will generate a single ranked list of applicants. Offers will be made in sequence commencing with the applicant with the highest ranked score. Should it arise that applicants ranked equally need to be separated, the Overall GAMSAT/MCAT scores will be used."

And it will be up to 60 international students.

I found both numbers from:
http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/futurestudent/applicant/internat/offers.php

Besides UQ which other uni has the largest intake of students (both international and domestic) ?

Hi

Any idea what is UQ's expected quota for 2010 GEMP?

It's about 150 internationals with a class of more than 500, according to their offer letter.

Thanks for the info SFs, I'll update the info in the morning when I start writing up the info on pathways to licensure. This data was collected in Dec-April so some of it may not be 100% accurate but the admission procedures should not have changed.

If you guys find anything else or have requests, let me know.

So far, other than personal experiences and musings, I plan to write about the Aussie med schools, licensure pathways, funding and loans and interview experiences (I can talk about UoW, Deakin and Flinders and will soon be able to add ANU and Monash if they have interviews in Ontario).

Contributors are welcome as well! :)

It's about 150 internationals with a class of more than 500, according to their offer letter.

Thanks for the info SFs, I'll update the info in the morning when I start writing up the info on pathways to licensure. This data was collected in Dec-April so some of it may not be 100% accurate but the admission procedures should not have changed.

If you guys find anything else or have requests, let me know.

So far, other than personal experiences and musings, I plan to write about the Aussie med schools, licensure pathways, funding and loans and interview experiences (I can talk about UoW, Deakin and Flinders and will soon be able to add ANU and Monash if they have interviews in Ontario).

Contributors are welcome as well! :)

According to the 2010 ACER Medical Guide, it says UQ's quota is 298 for locals and 100 for internationals = 398.

If their offer letter says something different, I wouldn't know. Do you have their offer letter?

According to the 2010 ACER Medical Guide, it says UQ's quota is 298 for locals and 100 for internationals = 398.

If their offer letter says something different, I wouldn't know. Do you have their offer letter?

Yeah, that's why I don't really trust the ACER guide wholly. It seems like the information they gain is 1 year or so out of date.
The offer letter definitely says >500 student class size and on personal communication, UQ indicated ~150 international spots.

UniMelb will have about 330 with 80 for internationals in 2011.

Thanks for the info jaketheory
seems the unimelb folks have updated their website. I've added an entry for them now.

I've updated with the start of posts that i will be updating over the next few days. If anyone wants to add anything, feel free and I'll post it.

2010 UQ is:
510 total=
300 locals
130 internationals
80 Ochner