Aug 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Im very interested in Emory's psych program, however FREIDA doesn't offer much details about the program. I was wondering can anyone who is familiar with the program tell me more about the program? (such as the learning experience/environment, any regret? friendly attendings?, hours, calls, benefits, sick days, vacation days, or anything else you think its important for me to know)
Thank you in advance!! (I searched the forum for this information, but didn't find too much)

Reactions: Achillees

clausewitz2

10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Some of these specific questions are answered on their website.

OP
S
Aug 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
if anyone has any personal experience there and don't mind sharing, that will be greatly appreciate it :)

TexasPhysician

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
When I interviewed there a few years back, they prided themselves in having one of the busiest inpatient centers in the nation. The resident I met had just admitted 13 patients during her night float. Another resident explained how he doesn't read much at all because they see more patients than most other programs.

Seemed to be a high volume place. I'm sure he see plenty of variety.

Reactions: sunshine1000
Jun 7, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I interviewed there. Would have gone there had they offered a pre-match, situation just didn't match up in the end. You rotate at the VA, Grady Hospital and other sites. Grady is a pretty big hospital, mostly community clients. The attendings were interesting, research seemed to be high on their list. One attending was like 10-15 minutes late to my interview so he could walk his dog?

Interview is pretty low-key. Staff was very friendly. I don't know if it changed, but it was a LONG day. You interview, they take you around to a couple sites. Hard not to fall asleep on their bus ride/tour they do (not that its boring, it's just a long day, and you go on this tour after you eat).

I liked the program and the residents seemed pretty happy. They had a resident who had transferred in from surgery of all places. From my experience I gathered I felt it would have been a more than adequate place to train.

OP
S
Aug 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
When I interviewed there a few years back, they prided themselves in having one of the busiest inpatient centers in the nation. The resident I met had just admitted 13 patients during her night float. Another resident explained how he doesn't read much at all because they see more patients than most other programs.

Seemed to be a high volume place. I'm sure he see plenty of variety.
my gosh, 13 admissions sounds like A LOT....thanks for the information, I appreciate it

OP
S
Aug 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I would really appreciate it if any current or past emory resident can shed some light on this topic, I welcome PM!! thank you in advance

Armadillos

5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2013
Status
No idea if still true, but I remember hearing the attending supervision at Grady is extremely "hands off", some people love that and others hate so may be worth looking into if you lean heavily either way

OP
S
Aug 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
No idea if still true, but I remember hearing the attending supervision at Grady is extremely "hands off", some people love that and others hate so may be worth looking into if you lean heavily either way
Thank you for mentioning that, I appreciate it!! I havent given that much thought, but its definitely something I should think about. So far I wonder about Emory because I was hoping to have a family in the next few years...so I wonder how busy is the emory's work schedule...

Reactions: Achillees