information on puerto rico med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beachbum

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
am looking for information on puerto rico med schools. what are the first two years like? are classes tought in both english and spanish?. what about the quality of the rotations during 3rd and 4th year in puerto rico med schools. do their hospitals give lots of exposure and experience? could anyone please share any info with me, i would be greatly thankfull. anything about classes. are there several u.s. students or just navite puerto ricans? how big the hospitals are? how much pathology is seen? how about electives?
thank you much

Members don't see this ad.

beachbum said:
am looking for information on puerto rico med schools. what are the first two years like? are classes tought in both english and spanish?. what about the quality of the rotations during 3rd and 4th year in puerto rico med schools. do their hospitals give lots of exposure and experience? could anyone please share any info with me, i would be greatly thankfull. anything about classes. are there several u.s. students or just navite puerto ricans? how big the hospitals are? how much pathology is seen? how about electives?
thank you much
Hey,
Do a search on Puerto Rico schools and you should find some info of interest, if not PM me and I can help you out.

Dr Who

Beachbum:

I can only talk about my experience at the UPR school. First 2 years are basic sciences, mostly amphitheater lectures and SGDs. All handouts are in english (only a few pharm ones have been in spanish). Most lecturers give the class in spanish, although a few do it in english. All SGDs and PBLs are in spanish. During the first year you take Intro to clinical skills and second year has Fundamentals to Clinical Dx. They are mostly hospital activities (3-4 students are assigned to a resident or an attending) and you practice taking vitals and doing H&Ps (first year), and later doing a focused H&P and working differential Dxs. There are also activities with standardized patients in spanish (progress notes are in english). For the clerkships the class is divided into tracks and about 3-10 students (depending on the clerkship) go to Mayaguez for them. The rest are divided in the metro area between UDH, UPH, SJ Municipal Hosp, the VA and Carolina UPR Hosp.

As for native/foreign students: I know of people who did undergrad in the states who were accepted, but they were native puertorricans who for the most part grew up on the island.

As for the quality of the rotations/exposure, I'm only second year so I can only comment on what upper classmen have told me. You'll get lots of exposure at UDH in rotations like surgery (being the only terciary care center all the interesting stuff goes through there). As with other schools (I imagine) the exposure and quality depends a great deal on who you get assigned to. Some people had great attendings/residents and that made the clerkships worthwhile, while others hated their experience because of who they got assigned to.

Pathology: It's a huge chunk of year 2, and we get to see a lot of it all year long. The Pathology Dept of the Med school is the only one that does the kidney biopsies in the island and the lesser antilles. In my opinion the professors are awesome for the most part.

Electives: You can check out this site and click on the PDF for 4th year electives.

Exams: All basic science courses and clerkships have a shelf exam from the NBME (except pathophysiology (MSII) and Radiology (MSIII)). All clerkships (as far as I know) have a local final exam besides the shelf.

Any other questions feel free to post here or PM me.

Ana Marylee =)

I found this information on the Admission Requirements page:

Highly qualified Puerto Rico non‑residents must demonstrate strong ties to Puerto Rico. To determine strong residential ties to Puerto Rico, the Committee on Admission will review the applicant's birthplace, high school attended, college attended and parent's legal residence. An applicant who meets three of the four categories demonstrates strong ties to Puerto Rico.

Our curriculum is conducted in English and Spanish, and patient interactions are nearly always conducted in Spanish, therefore, demonstrated fluency in speaking, reading and writing both languages is required. Applicants must select language courses which develop writing and reading comprehension skills.