Information on Reserves (Air Force, Army, Navy, and USPHS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentengr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have read through numerous posts and am just trying to get updated information.

I am interested in joining the reserves and was hoping anybody who recently joined the reserves or is currently enlisted could shed light on the commitment and benefits.

I spoke with Army Medical Recruiting, and initially was under the impression that the commitment was six years but, was told by them that there were two and four year options availible although there are currently no positions. They also were not sure regarding loan repayment in the reserves which contradicts what I read.

Can anyone speak to their experiences, benefits, loan repayment, and how these incentives are taxed in the year of 2023?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you're doing the military solely for the purpose of loan repayment, you will be miserable.

Also reserve duty is a few days a year, I don't think you get any help with loans. You'd have to join full active duty to get help with loans. Even at that, it's not a lot of money.

Just my 2 cents.

There’s really not going to be a big difference between old threads except for the bonuses and incentives amounts. I’m hearing reserves/guard isn’t really in demand so mAbe they are doing less bonuses or loan repayment which could be why your recruiters don’t know much. Going off the other comment, its not a lot of money and its all taxed…

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies so far. I am not doing it strictly for financial reasons but, I will say that without the loan repayment I don’t think it will be worth it for me personally.

Yeah it does not look like there is currently any demand as essentially each branch I have talked to seemed to indicate that. There might also be changes as the majority of whom I talked to don’t seem to know what the commitment and benefits currently is.

Reactions: 1 user
There’s really not going to be a big difference between old threads except for the bonuses and incentives amounts. I’m hearing reserves/guard isn’t really in demand so mAbe they are doing less bonuses or loan repayment which could be why your recruiters don’t know much. Going off the other comment, its not a lot of money and its all taxed…
Does "isn't really in demand" mean that they have more than enough dentists and not accepting any applicants? Or are there still spots?

They have enough dentists sitting around doing way less dentistry than they are capable of, drowning them in paperwork and DHA. It's getting worse by the day.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
They have enough dentists sitting around doing way less dentistry than they are capable of, drowning them in paperwork and DHA. It's getting worse by the day.
Thanks, so just to confirm, there are no open spots in the reserve components?

Thanks, so just to confirm, there are no open spots in the reserve components?
You are asking the wrong people. The only people who know this information are in the COC of your medical/recruiter for your local unit. Every reserve unit is different and has different manning situations.

IMG_9860.gif

Big Hoss