Information regarding direct entry MSN degrees for PMHNP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tom4705

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for information regarding the path to becoming a Psych nurse (PMHNP) for my situation. I currently only have my associates degree in mental health and human services (basically my schools equivalent of an associates in psychology) and im 25. I had to take some time off since graduating, due to personal issues in my family and life. My questions are as follows:

1. Based on time/cost effectiveness, id like to get my bachelor's degree in psychology while taking the pre requisites necessary for a direct-entry MSN program. My question is regarding which programs offer preceptors/climical sites? I dont want to be stuck finding my own. When I Google direct entry MSN programs, it doesn't provide this information.

2. If I get licensed in a certain state, and eventually decide that I want to move and practice in another state, how hard is it to get certified in that other state? How long would it take and what are the requirements? I'm asking this because I'm not certain the state I'd go back to school for is the state I'd like to live in forever.

3. Cost. How much am I generally looking at for a direct entry MSN program to become a PMHNP? Are there any known scholarships/aid or does this vary by school?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Most direct entry programs will get you an MSN with a transcript noting BSN equivalency, some grant the BSN/MSN. Expect this process to be 18-24 months.

Then a post masters PMHNP certificate program will be needed. Another 12-15 months.

I have about 24 months left on this path. Long road. Done with the DEMSN this year.

Most direct entry programs will get you an MSN with a transcript noting BSN equivalency, some grant the BSN/MSN. Expect this process to be 18-24 months.

Then a post masters PMHNP certificate program will be needed. Another 12-15 months.

I have about 24 months left on this path. Long road. Done with the DEMSN this year.
Well, I appreciate the input, but it didn't really answer any of my questions. Have you completed your bachelor's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I appreciate the input, but it didn't really answer any of my questions. Have you completed your bachelor's?

I completed the BSN portion of my program in January. Most if not all DEMSN programs will have dedicated clinical sites. You only get stuck finding your own preceptor for post-masters NP certs from degree mills. There are brick and mortar programs that generally have linkage to sites for your preceptor.

Look up Nurse Corp for scholarships, and consider military service as another route. There are also public service loan forgiveness programs.

I completed the BSN portion of my program in January. Most if not all DEMSN programs will have dedicated clinical sites. You only get stuck finding your own preceptor for post-masters NP certs from degree mills. There are brick and mortar programs that generally have linkage to sites for your preceptor.

Look up Nurse Corp for scholarships, and consider military service as another route. There are also public service loan forgiveness programs.
Thanks for the info. Another question:

Any difference between going for the BA vs the BS in Psychology if my plan is to enter a direct entry program afterwards? Does the BS make more sense since the direct entry pre requisites are science/math based or does it not matter?

Thanks for the info. Another question:

Any difference between going for the BA vs the BS in Psychology if my plan is to enter a direct entry program afterwards? Does the BS make more sense since the direct entry pre requisites are science/math based or does it not matter?
A BS makes sense, but if you haven’t finished undergrad yet just do a regular nursing program and save yourself the stress of a direct entry nightmare.

Reactions: 1 user
A BS makes sense, but if you haven’t finished undergrad yet just do a regular nursing program and save yourself the stress of a direct entry nightmare.
Can you explain to me why? What makes the direct entry program a nightmare? My logic was to get a psychology degree and complete the pre requisites for direct entry since 1. It wouldn't change the overall time it would take to become a PSYCH NP 2. Psychology is interesting to me, and I figured it would involve courses I enjoy since there's no time advantage in doing a regular nursing program which I wouldn't enjoy nearly as much. Unless there is something I'm missing.

Can you explain to me why? What makes the direct entry program a nightmare? My logic was to get a psychology degree and complete the pre requisites for direct entry since 1. It wouldn't change the overall time it would take to become a PSYCH NP 2. Psychology is interesting to me, and I figured it would involve courses I enjoy since there's no time advantage in doing a regular nursing program which I wouldn't enjoy nearly as much. Unless there is something I'm missing.

You are profoundly underestimating the intensity and pace of a DEMSN program. The attrition rates are high for a reason. Nursing requires an 80% average on all exams, has a practical component interwoven into each semester with validations that are a high stress experience, and the credits tend not to transfer. You can only fail (2) classes then you’re booted out of the program with nothing to show for your work. Add to this the intensity of taking 16-18 graduate level credits with essentially no breaks between semesters and the occasional 12 week 18 credit summer semester from hell and you will be regretting the decision to compress a second bachelors and a masters degree into 18 months.

The material is also madenning because you are learning a mixture of pathophysiology (useful), pharmacology (useful), nursing theory (useless garbage), practical skills, assessment skills, and actual research interspersed with nursing research (fanciful garbage).

The nursing model of care is garbage. Mid levels shouldn’t be given independent practice ever. I refuse to be seen by a mid level now.

- end rant

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user